"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

WE 554 - "Sticking" Finger Wheel and No Dial Tone

Started by curtjr4, August 03, 2011, 03:57:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

curtjr4

Hello everyone!

I have obtained a Western Electric 554... which is originating from Massachusetts. Really is a great, sturdy phone... but I can't get a dialtone, and the finger wheel locks up. When the finger wheel is turned as far counterclockwise as possible... I can hear whatever is happening on the line, but it wont pick the line up, and I can't talk into it.  I haven't forced the finger wheel to turn back counter clockwise (yeah, maybe it wasn't the best choice). If I cant get this corrected within a few days, I'm going to just return it and get another one. The eBay seller said that it works great... so I guess they just lied.

Here's a video if ya'll would like to see it. It explains my problem. At the time of this post, it is still processing: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kOm_FWE4Dbc

curtjr4

Alright. Sorry for the double post, but  here's some requested pictures :D

jsowers

Welcome to the Forum, Curtjr4. My first reaction to your video is OUCH! You have a pretty messed up dial on an otherwise nice looking red 554. Looks like you have a great place to mount the phone too.

Your third picture shows you have a broken spade lug--that's the metal C-shaped thing that goes under the screws to the network. The network is the part with all the screws on top and wires connected to it. One of the blue wires is just out in space and not connected to anything.

It might be better to just see if someone on the Forum has a dial they could send you. You have likely more than one problem with that dial. That seller who said it worked was dead wrong!

Are you handy with tools at all? The fingerwheel can be removed and then you can remove the dial face and transplant both of them on a new dial.

Also, a small thing, your ringer adjust lever is bent and needs to be pushed back down so you can see the Loud--> on it. It's at the very bottom of the phone. No big deal there.
Jonathan

curtjr4

Ouch, indeed. I am thinking about just sending it back to the seller or asking for a refund. Considering this person has no clue what they are talking about, I'll simply say that the wiring is completely wrong and the dial is ruined upon arrival.

It's a hard decision, but it would be much easier to just return it all together and buy a new one off of eBay. I just dont want to give it up since cosmetically, it's in wonderful shape (except for that bent bar on the bottom that you talked about). So now I am stuck with this decision...

curtjr4

Sorry, once again, for the double post. But I have elected to keep the  phone  and just repair it. Ordering a dial and a pulse to DTMF converter (considering I have  VoIP). I will keep everyone posted... and I am going to  leave some nasty feedback to this person if I don't get a refund.

Kenny C

Should be wired as follows:

Ringer:
Red-L2
Black-L1
Slate-K
Slate Red- A

Line:
Red-L2
Yellow-G
Green-L1
Black can be disconnected and cut

Dial:
Blue-F
White-R
Green-RR
White-GN
(note: white wires are inter changeable)

Switch:
Black-R
Gray-L2
Yellow-L2
Brown-C
White-F
Red-GN

Handset cord:
White-R
Red-R
Black-B
White-GN
(NOTE:whites are interchangeable) 
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

curtjr4

In regards to the dial... there are two blues. I cant figure out where that one is supposed to go...

And as for getting a new dial... should this one work? I just want to be certain so I don't mess up ;) http://www.oldphoneworks.com/dial-northern-electric-9ca-cherry-red.html

LarryInMichigan

curtjr4,

I expect that one of our forum members will have a spare #9 dial for you.  You should be able to use your existing red bezel, finger wheel, and finger stop on the replacement dial.  Don't send your money off to OPW just yet.

As for the blue and green wires, those go to the pulsing contacts in the dial.  It really doesn't matter which goes to which of the two terminals on the network as long as one goes to the 'F' and the other to 'RR'.

Larry

curtjr4

Well, after some poking around... I was able to get the  phone to work again (but not the dialer. Still need to replace that). But I can pick up calls now and talk into it :)

Dennis Markham

Curt, let me look through my box of dials.  I'm sure I have a spare #9 dial just gathering dust.  You will be able to switch it out with your dial, using your existing dial bezel.  That's the round part with the white letters/numbers.  You'll be in business in no time.  Those #9 dials weren't really made to come apart and repair.  Especially as bad as the gears seem to be binding on that one.

Don't get confused with the terminology.  "Dial" refers to the dial mechanism, not the "finger wheel". 

curtjr4

Wow Dennis, thanks! Let me know how much I owe you... and how to swap the bezel out. Really looking forward to getting this sucker working ;D

Now to get the Pulse to DTMF converter. Oh how I wish I kept my POTS line... :-\

Bill

Not to be discouraging, but a pulse-to-DTMF converter is probably not needed. Most digital modems from cable internet companies work fine with pulse dialing. My modems, and my service from both RoadRunner and Cox, are perfectly fine with it. Both services use modems from Scientific Atlanta.

But note that I said "most", but not "all". You might have an exception. But it might make sense to resolve the dial problem before investing in a converter.

As for the dial, I don't see any obvious physical damage, so do we think there is more wrong than just the disconnected blue wire? It really sounds like a simple miswiring problem to me, and they happen often. I have a 554 on my bench right now - I will see if I can compare it to your photos.

Bill

jsowers

Bill, did you look at the video? The dial has to be forced back and it makes a bad ratcheting sound when trying to dial. It's one of the later plasticky dials and not very sturdy. The blue wire is missing its spade too. It would need some work and may not be worth it.
Jonathan

Dennis Markham

Curt, I have several 9CA dials.  Send me an e-mail when you get a minute and we can talk about your dial and make sure what I have will fit what you have.  You can e-mail me classicrotaryphones@gmail.com

~Dennis

curtjr4

Sure Dennis, I'll email you in a few :)

As for whether my modem will work with it or not... I don't believe it does. AT&T said that rotary is NOT supported with my modem, and I tried it on a trimline. That didn't work, either. I think I only got it to dial out once out of 30 or so with the trimline.