News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Sometimes you have to just walk away...

Started by Greg G., November 15, 2011, 05:00:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg G.

Picture looks good, but when I examined it, there were some problems.  The LRT (Large Round Thing) had some damage that was hidden by the wires in the picture, and those other doo-dads on the right of the picture looked like they were supposed to be attached to something, but were detached and just hanging.  I didn't know how difficult it would be to replace or repair the LRT or those other doo-dads, so it was better to err on the side of caution.

http://seattle.craigslist.org/sno/atq/2677493137.html ( dead link 03-09-21 )

QuoteVintage Telephone 534A Subset w/Ringer - $40 (South Everett)

Vintage Western Electric 534A Subset and Ringer for old candlestick and payphones. Early phones did not have ringer built in. Schematic and wiring instructions are posted inside the lid.

The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

wds

That actually seems like a nice ringer box.  Of course I haven't seen it in person, but the wiring can be cleaned up.  I've seen those 534's go for as much as a $100 on ebay.  If it's nice and clean, I think I would grab it and clean it up. 
Dave

Greg G.

It was more than just the wiring.  The part I'm calling an "LRT", behind the ringer coils had some damage to it that you can't see in the picture.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

LarryInMichigan

I think that you are referring to the inductor coil.  Did it look like the coil wire was broken?  The coils from that vintage that I have seen have pretty large gauge wire which doesn't break easily.  The wood pieces at the ends of the cylinder may move outward, but they can probably be pushed back into position.  In the worst case, you can probably find a replacement coil.

I would have offered $25, settled for $30-$35 and run with it.

Larry

wds

Larry, I know what your thinking, and I'm not driving to Seattle from Ohio.
Dave

Jester

I agree with Larry--it would be fairly easy to find a replacement induction coil.  I have bought spare coils from phoneco for the 534, & they were pretty reasonable.  Another possibility would be to replace the original with a 101A, and make it a 634.  At the asking price, I don't think I'd even haggle.
Stephen