"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Mushroom Lamp Phone Color Rarity

Started by Kenton K, February 23, 2015, 10:54:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kenton K

Hi yall,

As you guys probably know, I won my first mushroom phone recently. Mines appears to be white under the blue paint. I know there are other colors too. I was wondering which colors seem to the be scarcest. I seem to see pink and black the most often, and I've never seen a light beige mushroom. But this is just from my limited view. Is there a general consensus on the scarcity of mushroom phone colors?

Ken

Dave F

JimHyak

I have never seen the gray or mahogany, the next rarest I think are dark beige and possibly yellow. I've seen all the others and have most of them, but find it curious that while yellow is a fairly common 500 color, I've yet to see a mushroom in yellow. It would be nice to know the numbers manufactured.
Jim
It's not hoarding if you have cool stuff!

WEBellSystemChristian

Quote from: JimHyak on February 25, 2015, 08:28:53 AM
I have never seen the gray or mahogany, the next rarest I think are dark beige and possibly yellow. I've seen all the others and have most of them, but find it curious that while yellow is a fairly common 500 color, I've yet to see a mushroom in yellow. It would be nice to know the numbers manufactured.
I saw a yellow one on ebay awhile ago, and it went for something like $800.

I've never seen or heard of a Rose Beige or Mohogany Brown, but I have heard that an Oxford Grey one sold on ebay for around $2000 several years ago, IIRC.
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

Dave F

Quote from: WEBellSystemChristian on February 25, 2015, 10:16:19 AM
I saw a yellow one on ebay awhile ago, and it went for something like $800.

I've never seen or heard of a Rose Beige or Mohogany Brown, but I have heard that an Oxford Grey one sold on ebay for around $2000 several years ago, IIRC.
Yes, I remember that Oxford Gray.  I stopped bidding when it got to $800 !

Another uncommon Mushroom color is light gray.  You can see mine here:

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=3301.msg43719#msg43719

DF

jsowers

Quote from: JimHyak on February 25, 2015, 08:28:53 AM
I've seen all the others and have most of them, but find it curious that while yellow is a fairly common 500 color, I've yet to see a mushroom in yellow. It would be nice to know the numbers manufactured.

Below is a screen shot of the bidding of the most recent yellow 500U (possibly the only one ever sold) and it went over $1000. Mr. Hyak needs to refresh his memory because he came in second at $995, or at least I think that is he. I came in fourth, and truth be told I forgot about it too until someone else reminded me. Here is the link, for as long as it might be available...

http://offer.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewBids&item=291193354612

I posted some pictures below that I saved from the auction.

I don't remember seeing dark gray, dark beige or brown 500U or 500P models.

Mr. Hyak, we would love to see a picture of your 500U collection.
Jonathan

Kenton K

Yes please! It would be great if we can compile a whole set of colors.

Kk

WEBellSystemChristian

OOH OOH OOH!!!

If we decide to do a compilation of all mushroom colors, hold off on pink, since I wanna finally show off my beautiful '59 pink P/U! 8)
Christian Petterson

jsowers

Christian, you should start a thread asking everyone to post their mushroom phones and start it with your pink one. And just for the record, it's either a P or a U, but not a P/U. As in 500P (no dimmer switch) or 500U (has dimmer switch). That P/U model designation did double duty on the base. I look forward to seeing your pink 500U.
Jonathan

WEBellSystemChristian

Jonathan;

I just made a topic in Collector's Corner about my Mushroom, and suggested that others post pictures of their mushrooms.
Christian Petterson

JimHyak

I guess coming in second was too much for my memory to bear. My collection is mostly in boxes until later this year when the new daylight basement is done. I had to trade my wife a new sewing room and fabric vault for a phone workshop. I started the drawings a year ago, it took until late October to get permits. Next week the floor gets poured. I promise to post some pics of the 500s including the mushrooms, hopefully by July
Jim
It's not hoarding if you have cool stuff!