News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

My First 302 repair - Lots of questions

Started by winkydink, November 13, 2008, 02:16:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

winkydink

I am finally at the re-assembly point (minus the feet that are "in-the-mail").

Does anyone have some photos of how the wires are routed in the shell.  I have looked at some of Dennis' Picasa web album but did not get a clear idea of where they run.

When I took the phone apart, the wires that ran from the base went  through one of the 2 clips attached to the hinge and then was routed underneath the switch hook metal, and finally to the dial.  Is this correct?

BTW with the switch hook back in place, the plungers move up and down freely (with no "catching" at all), Yeah !

benhutcherson

Here's a photo I posted in another thread of a relatively "virgin" 302

I'll have to locate it, but I have few more up-close photos of the same phone.

One thing I've found very helpful is that if you just leave the wires how they are when removing them, they will tend to just sort of fall back into place, routed as they should be, upon reassembly. After 50+ years, the wires take a pretty good set.

Dennis Markham

Ben, I agree that often those wires will maintain their shape and it will be obvious where to put the wires.  I think at the base of the phone it isn't critical which of the two hooks to put the wires under, but usually I put the wires from the condenser side under the closest hook and then the wires from the induction coil under the left side.  On the photo I'm attaching here you will see the proper way to connect the mounting cord, behind the little peg.  Jim, I think Ben's is that way too but maybe a little more difficult to see.

winkydink

The phone is back together, the re-leathered feet arrived today as well.

The phone has a dial tone, can dail out, and looks really sharp.

The ringer is not ringing however.  I don't have time to post pictures yet (perhaps tomorrow).  I a quick question:  where do the red and black ringer wires connect to?

Right now I have the red wire going to the far post of the black square in between the bells and the condenser.  The black wire is going to the other post (GND) of the small black square.  Is this correct.  If so then I need to do some troubleshooting.

Thanks

Dennis Markham

I'm going to e-mail you a document right now.......it is a simplified wiring diagram I put together.  It says red goes here, black goes here, etc....pdf format.

Dennis

Dennis Markham

Red to L1 and Black to "K".....wherever those are located (From Ringer).

winkydink

Quote from: Dennis Markham on January 23, 2009, 04:21:39 PM

Well that must be my problem.  I followed the way it was wired up originally (when I opened up the case).  Originally Red was to GND not L1.  I will swap and report my progress tomorrow.

-WD

Dennis Markham

Most often that is the case.  The guy that had it before you tinkered with it..moved the wires and couldn't get it to work and sold it!

winkydink

Quote from: winkydink on January 23, 2009, 05:02:23 PM
Quote from: Dennis Markham on January 23, 2009, 04:21:39 PM

Well that must be my problem.  I followed the way it was wired up originally (when I opened up the case).  Originally Red was to GND not L1.  I will swap and report my progress tomorrow.

-WD

Well the phone was wired improperly for the ringer.  I hooked it as mentioned above and it works.  But WOW ! is it loud (louder than any of my subsets for my 202 or Candlestick), no wonder the previous owner disconnected it.

My refurbishing is complete for now.  I have added a new line cord and handset cord.  The base and internal parts have been cleaned the gongs are polished (I even used steel wool on the ringer housing).  Here are some snapshots.

The last picture is a "period" picture shown in the 302 sitting on top a 1930's desk next to a 1942 Philco and it's older brother a 202.

Dennis Markham

Very nice!  I really like your last photo showing the phone on the desk next to your radio.  Very nice.  You should be proud of them.  I'm glad the phone is working right now.

One last detail is the vent openings on the base of your 302.  Often those coverings or screens are a tough one.  I've been searching for the perfect thing to use there.   I took a piece of an original one to Jo Ann Fabrics to try and find some material that would be close to the original.  I did bring home a piece of black Chiffon which is just a little too shear.  On one of my phones I doubled the material and glued it in place.  It worked pretty well.

On the Galion phone I'm working on now I picked up a piece of vinyl screen door screen material in black.  It matches very close to the original.  It's better than leaving nothing.  On the Galion there are two places it is used.  On the base and inside to cover the rear vents.

Nice job on those telephones!

BDM

Very nice. The Philco model 42-PT94 is a nice touch ;)
--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI

McHeath

Great job!  I really like the setting on the desk as well.  Those super loud gongs on the 302 can be adjusted to quiet them down if you so wished.  The holes for the screws in their centers are drilled off center a bit, by  loosening the screws you can twist the gongs around some and either enlarge or reduce the amount of space between them and the clapper.

southernphoneman

Quote from: Dennis Markham on November 13, 2008, 05:17:29 PM
I had planned on responding in detail to this and still will.  But I'll put my 2cents worth in now about the screws.

I recently bought a lot of 100 from a fellow collector.  The brand name on these is Waldom - Part #F466-B.  But what is important is they are 4-36 X 3/8 Round Machine Head screws.  As Bingster said, if you go to Ace Hardware or the equivalent you should be able to obtain them much cheaper than buying them off-line (due to shipping).  But if you're ordering other stuff too........  I think I paid about $5 for 100 of them and they work just great.  You may never need more though so if you can't find them locally and want me to send you 3 of them I will.

As far as spades, I have been able to find two sizes of spade tips at Radio Shack.  They have about 3 prongs that stick up...you lay the wire in the little trough and clamp down the prongs.  I have used them on line cords, ringer wires and the like.  They work pretty good.  The smaller ones work best for line cords.

I'll write more of my tips for cleaning later on.....I have a million things going at once.
radio shack is the ONLY place that I have been able to find spade connectors.

Phonesrfun

I buy them at oldphoneworks.com.  They have the small ones.
-Bill G