News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Popular Mechanics article "How To Repair Telephones", Oct 1987

Started by Greg G., March 12, 2013, 11:52:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg G.

I found part of this article in my internet travels and then did a search on ebay, and happened to find the issue.  It came today so I scanned the article.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Phonesrfun

-Bill G

twocvbloke

Haven't read through it all, but, page three seems a tad mis-informative:

"Older phones have cords that are wired directly into the phone and handset.

Don't try to remove these cords. Instead, install a new receiver. If this doesn't help, and you've already checked the hookswitch contacts, then the phone is beyond repair"

Seems a bit defeatist to me, after all, there's always a way to replace them, even if not with an original part, so there's no need to declare a phone dead if the cables are knackered... :D

Greg G.

Quote from: twocvbloke on March 13, 2013, 03:09:20 AM
Haven't read through it all, but, page three seems a tad mis-informative:

"Older phones have cords that are wired directly into the phone and handset.

Don't try to remove these cords. Instead, install a new receiver. If this doesn't help, and you've already checked the hookswitch contacts, then the phone is beyond repair"

Seems a bit defeatist to me, after all, there's always a way to replace them, even if not with an original part, so there's no need to declare a phone dead if the cables are knackered... :D

I hadn't read all of it either, but yeah, why in heaven's name would they would say that?  The cords are simply attached by screws.  Also a little bit dated, they say you can get parts for a mid-50s phone from Radio Shack.  Not sure if that's still true because I never went to RS for phone parts.

Here's the PDF version attached.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Bill

Phonesrfun

After reading it, I find really nothing that is at all helpful, nor would it really have been helpful at the time.  Carbon granuals in the receiver?? Really??  Cleaning the spade tips on the receiver wires?  How often have you ever seen dirty receiver wire tips?

I think it's cool that someone wrote about it, but I don't think the writer knew what they were writing about.
-Bill G

JorgeAmely

The advice that continues into the beginning of the second page reminds me of someone around here that naively got shocked by an incoming call after pinching the line cord between his (or her) lips.

I am surprised this person didn't quit the hobby.

;D ;D ;D

Jorge

twocvbloke

I once got a shock off a phoneline when a call came in while I was adding a switch to the line to shut it off (cos someone in the house was using it without permission and racking up a huge bill!!), I tend to make sure that the line is disconnected before I do anything like that these days... :D

Greg G.

Quote from: Phonesrfun on March 13, 2013, 04:03:18 PM
After reading it, I find really nothing that is at all helpful, nor would it really have been helpful at the time.  Carbon granuals in the receiver?? Really??  Cleaning the spade tips on the receiver wires?  How often have you ever seen dirty receiver wire tips?

I think it's cool that someone wrote about it, but I don't think the writer knew what they were writing about.

Well, gee, I went to all that trouble and nobody likes it.  I guess I should have took a closer look at it first.   :-[  

I went back and read it a couple of times, and you're mostly right, but I picked up a couple of tips from the article.  I looked at my pictorial inventory of the worst 50s-60s era phones I had, and the receiver elements in the ickiest phones appeared to have escaped any corrosion.
- Mike Row
e

twocvbloke

I liked reading it, but, there are too many glaring errors in it which makes it a bit unreliable for those who want to learn to repair phones properly, but that's what this forum is for... :)

Phonesrfun

Aw, Greg, we're still your friends.  I thought it was really cool until I printed it out last night and read it.  I do like old articles and stuff on phones, and there really isn't a lot out there because of the fact that the phone companies tried to make out like phones were so special that only their special employees were empowered to work on them.  Today we know different.

I guess I can say one positive thing about it.  That is that at the very onset he says that just because the phone doesn't work does not mean it is necessarily the phone itself.  The cord may be bad, the jack might be at fault, and even the line coming into the house or even the Central office itself.  That is actually good logic.

-Bill G

twocvbloke

It could be re-written to fix the errors, the pictures, although odd looking, are fairly accurate, so could be re-used, so for those out there who still use these types of phones but aren't collectors, it could be useful for them... :)

Greg G.

Quote from: twocvbloke on March 13, 2013, 10:25:07 PM
I liked reading it, but, there are too many glaring errors in it which makes it a bit unreliable for those who want to learn to repair phones properly, but that's what this forum is for... :)

Let's list them.  

1.  2nd pg (pg 100) first column, starting with the 2nd paragraph, last sentence:

"Now tap the receiver on a hard surface to loosen the carbon granules that are inside."

3rd paragraph, first sentence:  

"Carbon is used as a medium through which receiving is accomplished."

He continues in the next column describing carbon elements in the receiver.  The receiver element does not have carbon granules inside. He's confusing it with the transmitter element, which does have carbon elements.

2.  3rd pg (pg 101) middle column, 2nd paragraph, first sentence:  "Don't try to remove these [handset] cords."  

Why not?  They're simply attached by screws that are easy to get at.  If he meant the handset cord itself not repairable if it's bad, I would agree, but earlier in the article he suggested getting replacement parts for other elements of the phone, so why not replace the handset cord?  Sounds like he may have tried to remove and replace one.  Re-stringing them is not that difficult, but can be a hassle if the receiver wires don't want to cooperate.  There are several different methods that people use to make it easier.

3.  Same paragraph, last sentence, regarding a bad handset cord:  "...then the phone is beyond repair."  Nonsense, replace the handset cord.

Anything else?
- Mike Row
e

K1WI

Now I'm going to have to cancel my 1987 subscription to 'Pop'chanics !!!
Andy F    K1WI

George Knighton

Annoying new poster.