News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Do they make mod. plugs that fit old wires?

Started by HudValley, March 26, 2013, 05:28:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HudValley

I'm sure this has been discussed before, but I can't find any info on it:

Do they make RJ-11 modular plugs that fit the larger diameter wires found in older cords?

If so, anyone know where I can buy them?

Thanks,
Rob

southernphoneman

they may sell them at radio shack or try ebay or you could try listing that in the classifieds here on the forum

Phonesrfun

Simple.  Many here have used a standard connecting block that has screws with a jack for modular, and use a very short modular cord between the block and the wall jack.  These connecting blocks can be purchased from many places.

Sorry I don't have a photo.
-Bill G

twocvbloke

Though not an elegant solution, this it what I used on my red WE500, which has room for another one or two extensions with a bit of a play about... :)

HarrySmith

No, there is not a regular plug like you are thinking about. There are adapters like this one: http://www.oldphoneworks.com/adapter-spaded-cord-to-modular-plug.html
and others available form vendors. The connector blocks mentioned earlier are available almost everywhere. There are pictures here somewhere on that setup, easy to do.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

WesternElectricBen

I usually just use a household phone jack thats a junction box placed at baseboard. Then all you have to do is get a wire to connect for the mounting jack to the phone jack.

Ben

Phonesrfun

Quote from: WesternElectricBen on March 26, 2013, 11:53:52 PM
I usually just use a household phone jack thats a junction box placed at baseboard. Then all you have to do is get a wire to connect for the mounting jack to the phone jack.

Ben
That's what I was talking about.  Your description is better than mine was.
-Bill G

WesternElectricBen

Quote from: Phonesrfun on March 27, 2013, 12:02:05 AM
Quote from: WesternElectricBen on March 26, 2013, 11:53:52 PM

Ben
That's what I was talking about.  Your description is better than mine was.

I thought so, I just wanted to give some more info.

Ben

Phonesrfun

Pictures say a thousand words
-Bill G

AE_Collector

Not quite as compact as a plug crimped onto the conductors of an old style cord BUT it also leaves the old cord and spade lugs undamaged.

Terry

HudValley

Thanks everyone. Helpful as always!

I'll give it a shot.

Rob

poplar1

The adapter plugs shown on the OPW link are IMO inferior to using a modular biscuit jack. The adpater plugs tend to break and are too large for situations where you are trying to use a splitter (for connecting 2 phones to the same wall jack).
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.