"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

B1 with #2 Dial from Ebay!

Started by WEBellSystemChristian, October 13, 2015, 03:17:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WEBellSystemChristian

Quote from: wds on October 23, 2015, 03:40:27 PM
did the phone ever arrive?  Can you post some pictures of the items in question?
Photos will come in about an hour. I had to order a couple parts, which came in the mail today, but it's done otherwise. I'll explain everything when I get the pictures up. :)
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

LarryInMichigan

If anyone is in the Kalamazoo/Battle Creek area and is looking for a B1 with #2 dial and a 584/684 subset, they might want to check out the one that I saw last week at the Corner Station Antique Mall in Galesburg.  It was marked $176 which is probably not a terrible price.  They would probably give a 10% discount if asked.

Larry

WEBellSystemChristian

When it arrived last week, I was so excited to see that almost everything I had hoped for came true! The dial was a 2HB that was converted to an HA, the dial card was original, the dial plate was notchless, the handset was completely seamless, and the paint was in great shape!

As I started inspecting it, I became disappointed in what the former owner did to modify it! They hammered the edges of the original brass fingerwheel down, and bent the original fingerstop up, and the fingerstop was also bent inward! >:( It literally took me about 3 hours to straighten the fingerwheel and fingerstop back to original shape!

I noticed the inside of the dial card retainer was more silver than brass while I was preparing to repaint it, and then it hit me; it's nickel!!! I stripped the paint down, and now I have a beautiful nickel retainer!!

The transmitter element was an F1 style, so I tried disassembling the handset to get it out. Of all things, the one part that wouldn't budge was the spitcup. My dad and I worked for couple days with the process of WD40, heat, strap wrench, repeat, and it still wouldn't budge. We eventually made an E1 cap removal tool, and after an hour of using it with the strap wrench, the seamless cap shattered! :'( Fortunately, it broke where there were already spiderwebbed cracks, and I found another seamless cap online (this one is flawless) along with a bullet transmitter and now have them on the phone!

All I need now are a couple cords and a new felt base. (stopping by Hobby Lobby later to get some felt) The base from my other B1 is standing in for the picture.
I polished the handset with black shoe polish, and the base with Auto Compound, and it finally looks classy! :)
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

wds

Very nice.  The nickel card holder is correct for that dial. Beautiful!
Dave

HarrySmith

Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Tech&Music

Mr. Bones

Sweet telephone, Christian!

You certainly do beautiful, meticulous work!

Best regards, my friend!
Sláinte!
   Mr. Bones
      Rubricollis Ferus

Sargeguy

Well at least we know the fingerstop isn't a repro!!! 
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409