News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

A couple Grabaphone questions

Started by Grumpy99705, November 14, 2011, 11:30:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grumpy99705

One of the items Ive acquired is a 12LC grabaphone handset. I am simply trying to disassemble it in order to clean it up, and have run into a few puzzles.
How does one remove the bakelite receiver housing from the rest of the handset?
Even the catalog doesnt show it.
I am missing at least two of the small screws that hold the xmitr in it's housing. There were 2 very small bolt head screws holding it all together. Is this correct? If its not, what type of screws are needed, and where on earth might I find them?
As I get more and more of the contents of my grandfather's garage I am going to inundate y'all with questions.

Thnx, Mike
Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everyone stands around reloading - Thomas Jefferson

Wallphone

Mike, I'm not quite sure what a 12LC is? Is this a Kellogg? Can you supply pictures? For a Kellogg handset, unscrew the receiver cap and slide off the metal disk. The two screws that attach the magnet coil are the same ones that mount it to the handle. On the Kellogg, if you look on the outside where the receiver housing meets the handle you can see about half of each screw where it connects to the handle.
Doug Pav

Grumpy99705

Well, I was able to solve the first part of the problem. After removing the magnets and prying the coils up, I discovered two more screws holding things together. I also discovered that unless I am willing to de-solder the leads going to the coils, it wasn't ment to be taken apart even to this point.
The handset is quite a bit of engineering for it's time. I can see why Kellogg moved beyond it as soon as they could.
Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everyone stands around reloading - Thomas Jefferson