News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Another Customer with a New Installation

Started by Sargeguy, March 19, 2011, 10:59:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sargeguy

I have a customer interested in one of my phones.  She wants to get a land-line installed so that she can use it in her store.  After the last one who did this turned out to be a complete nut job, I am a little paranoid about people who do this type of thing.  What does she need to know to ask the TELCO to ensure that she gets a line that will actually ring a 302?  I have explained that all my old phones ring at my office, my parent's house, and my home, and that she needs to ask for POTS and get it pulse-enabled.  Anything else I left out?
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

dsk

ITU former CCIT http://www.itu.int/en/
has made the standards more open, this is making it more easy to make lo cost equipment. E.G.Ringing frequency may be anything between 15 and 68 Hz. You do not have to offer to understand pulse dialling. E.G. a PABX "Erifox" for domestic use uses mains frequency and about 45V for ringing. 24V on the line.

I do not know what all the telco's using my guess is they use some ATA's here and there, and charge for a normal line (POTS), and you actually get VOIP.

An the other hand all my phones works together with my ATA and dialguizmo, but only one at the time. They have rens of about 2.5-3 600-1000 ohms coil in series with 1 µF. You may have to let the bias spring be as weak as possible.

Maybe not an answer? Sisco tells this: http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cata/186_188/2_15/english/administration/guide/sip/SIP88CH5.html#wp1036450

dsk

GG

Try this:

Inform buyers that it is up to them to ensure their phone line accepts rotary pulse dialing, and that if their line does not, then they will need to buy a Rotatone unit, plug the phone into that, and plug that into their jack.  Include a link for where they can buy the Rotatone.  And include a disclaimer that you are not responsible for whether they need a Rotatone.

RDP

GG, I don't know if I'd mention a Rotatone. Because I had the unfortunate luck of buying one of these and it didn't work on my line. You just might hear a irate buyer reply with, " I bought a Rotatone and it still doesn't work so it must be this piece of junk phone you sold me."

Sargeguy

I would recommend a Panasonic PBX if anything.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

RDP

I agree, that's a better guarantee that it's gona work.

GG

And I'm the local Panasonic dealer since forever-ago.  I was going to mention Panasonic PBXs but thought that might sound self-serving under the circumstances because Rotatone is less expensive. 

Though, this instance prompts me to start thinking about putting together a standard set of configurations for sale to folks here.  I've been meaning to go through my inventory of older Panasonic switches as well but haven't had time yet.  However I should have time soon, as one of my major projects has just wrapped up. 

Phonesrfun

I hate to douse this thread with pessimism, but I believe the average Joe that just wants a rotary dial phone for the game room will probably opt to use it for answer only before they are willing to spring for a PBX just for one rotary phone in the house.  Us collectors are different.  I have a 616 and I have alternating bells ringing all over the house when the phone rings.  It drives my guests nuts.  :)
-Bill G

Sargeguy

I think I scared her off.  I don't mind accepting a return if your phone line isn't set up for rotary, but don't base your decision to get a land line on whether or not my my 70 year old boat anchor will ring out of the box.  I am videotaping each phone dialing and ringing before I ship it.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409