"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Request for assistance - Replacing a 554 with a 2554

Started by dhortvet, April 24, 2011, 02:46:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dhortvet

All,

Am replacing a 554 in my parents' kitchen with a 2554 and see the 2554 does not mount to the same backing plate as the 554.

The 2554 has slots in the back at the top and one side for attaching to a backing plate similar to the 554, however they are located differently.

When I purchased the 2554 there was no provision for mounting it to the wall - I figured it would attach same as the 554 - which it does not.

Is there a 2554 mounting plate similar to what is used for the 554?

If not - how is the 2554 mounted to the wall?

Thanks for all comments / suggestions!

Regards,

Doug

paul-f

Doug,

554s and 2554s were both in service before modular wiring was common.  Early sets did not have plugs mounted on the back, while later ones did.  Adapter plates were made for both sets to add plugs.
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

dhortvet

Thanks Paul.

I definitely have the modified backplate as shown in the second photo.

What is the preferred method for mounting this phone to the wall, considering there was a 554 previously installed?

Perhaps my terminology is off - the 554 has a mounting plate that is attached to the wall with screws - the 554 attaches to this plate.

Is there a similar plate for the 2554 that would similarly attach to the wall and accept the 2554 modified backplate?

Thanks again!

Regards,

Doug

Jim Stettler

There was a modular "adaptor" backplate avaliable for these phones.

They also ad them for 554's and a couple of the different trimline wall bases.

THe modular backplates can be adapted to other old wall phones to make a mosular wall set.
Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

paul-f

Doug,

The plug on the back of the phone is intended to plug directly in to a standard modular wall jack.  There are 2 locating pins that engage slots in the back of the phone to support the weight.

The wall jack is installed in a standard electrical box that is mounted into the wall.  The phone line is fished through the wall cavity to the box.

You should be eable to find the jacks at home or hardware stores, Radio Shack, Walmart, etc.

dhortvet

Jim, Paul,

Thanks for your comments.

I was hoping there was a wall mounting plate for the 2554, similar as used for the 554, as there is no electrical box in place to accept the modular wall jack.

The 554 is hardwired, although I have installed a DSL filter.

May make my own wall mounting plate out of wood and attach the modular wall jack.

Thanks again!

Regards,

Doug

Jim Stettler

Quote from: dhortvet on April 28, 2011, 01:54:19 AM
Jim, Paul,

Thanks for your comments.

I was hoping there was a wall mounting plate for the 2554, similar as used for the 554, as there is no electrical box in place to accept the modular wall jack.

The 554 is hardwired, although I have installed a DSL filter.

May make my own wall mounting plate out of wood and attach the modular wall jack.

Thanks again!

Regards,

Doug

Doug,
There is an adaptor,
No box is needed for your wall mounted  modular jack.

There is no need to create a part.

Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

paul-f

There are mounting holes in the phone's backplate, so you can screw it right to the wall and wire the phone directly.

If the plug on the back of the phone sticks out far enough to contact the wall, you can remove the plug or fabricate a spacer to mount the phone far enough from the wall to have clearance.  There were probably backboards made that would suffice, but one may be a challenge to find.