News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Early '53 WE 510 F questions.

Started by podor, March 31, 2016, 01:36:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

podor

So, I picked up a WE 510F from Ebay. I'm not really sure what I have. These came out in early '53, but I'm not 100% of its true age. It has dates on the ringer and network of 5-53 and the dial is dated 1-53 (with no color code). The housing is '58 (I think), the cords and handset are '64 (G1 with hard plastic caps). There is no date on the base, but it appears to have been painted around the front feet, which is where the date could have been (I think?). The back feet are still original, but the front feet are round rubber. I have a few questions.

1. Would it be safe to say this would be from 5-53?
2. Why is there no color code on the dial, and would the gap between 1-53 and 5-53 still be considered factory installed?
3. It is in fantastic shape. Would it be worth the time and effort to bring it back to factory (dates and cords)?
4. Am I right about the housing date?

Thanks again in advanced. This forum is great. I've learned a ton from you all. I'll try to get some pictures posted.

podor

More pics.

unbeldi

Well, clearly the base certainly was made in 1953 as shown and it has a matching 425B network.  That's what most people use as the manufacturing date of a set.  All else can be changed or upgraded.

The 7D dial replaced the 7A dial.  It has no color code because the only dials available until then were on black phones.  The color sets that started to appear in 1953 used a different dial, 7C, and that came with a color code.   The 7C dial featured the same improvements as the 7D—or perhaps that statement should be the other way around.  Only the 7D dial had a black metal finger wheel, while the 7C for the color sets used a Lucite transparent wheel.   I am not sure I have seen a 7D any earlier than yours, I-53; my latest 7A is dated 8-52 (at least what my records say). Yours seem pretty special, might be first production 7D, especially since it was installed still in May.

With early production sets it is always possible to get a few parts that seem far off in date, but they pre-manufactured parts before introductions, and they may not have assembled them right away.

WEBellSystemChristian

Nice find!

Does the base look like it has brushed-on paint around the area near the date stamp? That might indicate a refurb in the '60s from a standard 500. That would explain why the housing is a later date.
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

unbeldi

Your set was installed in downtown Philadelphia, perhaps at a large enterprise or perhaps at Temple University (in CEnter-6 exchange, I believe), judging by the three-digit extension number.   Below is the central office it was connected to.

The number card is from the early 1960s, so I would leave the set in appearance to match that date.  When made, it would have had a straight cord.

Receiving a new housing is also not unusual, indeed it appears to be 1958, and the green ink is typical of that time.

podor

Here's a picture of the bottom, hopefully showing the brushed paint.  It almost looks like there was an issue with the original feet. The 510  and E/F look like they are on the original

poplar1

Quote from: podor on March 31, 2016, 01:36:48 PM
There is no date on the base, but it appears to have been painted around the front feet, which is where the date could have been (I think?).

Date stamp and model number for single line (500) set had already moved to area near the ringer volume control by 9/51.
So it is doubtful that a 1953 2-line set would have been dated near the front feet.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

unbeldi

Quote from: podor on March 31, 2016, 05:11:06 PM
Here's a picture of the bottom, hopefully showing the brushed paint.  It almost looks like there was an issue with the original feet. The 510  and E/F look like they are on the original

These round feet started appearing about 1963 on the 500 sets. If older feet needed replacement, they would change them using the new style.
Looks like this set went through a thorough refurbishing in 1964.  Certainly looks like the old date may have been lacquered over.

podor

Thanks for the info guys. I really got back into this hobby because I enjoy bringing things back to their former glory. I'm starting to enjoy dining into the history just as much.