News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Phone find in Wayne, Alberta

Started by canuckphoneguy, August 01, 2012, 05:34:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

canuckphoneguy

On my trip to the Canadian rockies in July, we stopped in at a tiny town off the beaten track called Wayne, Alberta (population 26). At the town's only saloon and hotel, I noticed a nice old phone attached to the town's former post office. It had a list of all of the residents' phone numbers as well as everyone's mailbox. I think the post office was closed in 1983.

LarryInMichigan

That phone is the Canadian version of a British GPO phone.

Larry

AE_Collector

Lots of British phones seem ot have made there way to the Canadian Prarie province phone systems years ago. So many that AE equipped lots of phones with British dials so the provincial Telco's could keep the one type of dial in service that they were familiar with....British!

Are those the PO Boxes on the right hand side of the phone?

$35 is probably a good price for coal! Only problem is that it looks like you only get a book rather than a ton of coal and I'm betting it will throw a lot less heat.

Terry

LarryInMichigan

A while back, I bought a Canadian AE40 with a British GPO dial for $5 on ebay (from a seller in Milwaukee, WI).  The shell was smashed, but I wanted the ringer and dial.

Larry

canuckphoneguy

Yes, the PO boxes are on the right side. I don't think they're in use anymore. It was a cool little place to visit but I can't imagine living there!