and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Are Dial Prices Falling?

Started by LarryInMichigan, October 21, 2012, 09:55:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LarryInMichigan

ebay link
( dead link 01-12-22 )

This 2HA dial with notchless plate in great condition just sold for $83.  I expected more like $110.

Larry

kleenax

Quote from: LarryInMichigan on October 21, 2012, 09:55:50 PM
ebay link

This 2HA dial with notchless plate in great condition just sold for $83.  I expected more like $110.

Larry
Dial prices have somewhat stabilized over the last 2 years or so. I haven't seen a "buggered up"#2 dial (such as this one - brassed out fingerwheel and no dial card) bring much over $85 in a long time. I have found that in order to get top-dollar for dials, they should be as original and pristine as possible. It also doesn't hurt to add a NICE original dial card as well. I bought a very nice #2 AE dial at a recent show for $85, and we were both happy :-)
Ray Kotke
Recumbent Casting, LLC

wds

I agree, I thought that one should have brought a little more than $83.  It had a nice number plate and appeared to be in nice condition.  I was the $82 bidder.  I recently sold a #2ab, no notch, and started the price at a low $9 which I usually don't do.  It only brought $78 - needless to say I wasn't very happy.  No more low starting auctions for me.
Dave

wds

I used to buy phones justs for the #2 dials, and either sell the dial and have a phone for free, or vice versa.  Now I tend to stay away from the #2 dial until prices go back up.  I've also noticed the mercedes dial prices dropping a little.  Maybe there's too many of them out there right now.
Dave

LarryInMichigan

I bought a lot of phone stuff, which included a 2AB dial with a notched plate (and wrong finger wheel), for $38 total a week ago, but the seller didn't know what she had.

Larry

kleenax

If you want to get top-dollar for your #2's that you want to sell, I suggest selling the notchless porcelain separately if it's in good condition. Just the porcelain number plate will usually bring as much as a #2 dial with a notched plate.
Ray Kotke
Recumbent Casting, LLC

poplar1

Ray is correct. The unnotched plates in good condition have gone for $150!
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

wds

I have another #2 I was going to sell, but at these prices it's going in the casket with me.

Dave