News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

What's the best way to fix this stem bolt?

Started by TelePlay, November 02, 2012, 08:10:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TelePlay

Got a 20AL non-dial stick today and discovered one of the wings on the stem mounting bolt that holds the bottom onto the phone has a crack across the crease.

I carefully bent it back together, about 15 degrees, to take this picture but need a permanent fix. The crack is circled in red.

It is not fully detached so I'm looking for suggestions on how to get this crack fixed before it does break into 2 pieces. Glue (what type), weld, other or buy a replacement? Also, won't be able to clean the surfaces of the crack without breaking the wing off.

Any and all suggestions would be appreciated.

dencins

Probably it is cast iron so I would say to braze it.  Usual approach would be to grind a "V" along the crack then fill the "V" with brazing rod.  If you are concerned the part will break, you could use a raised braze bead and it should hold - not as strong as with "V" but should work.  There is no interference with that area of the part so having a raised braze bead will not be a problem.  When brazing the brazing rod is melted  - not the base metal.  Make sure the surface is clean before brazing by using a stainless steel brush to remove any loose carbon and use a flux coated rod.  A MAPP torch should generate enough heat.

Dennis Hallworth   

TelePlay

Thanks, Dennis. That will get me started. I'll let you know how it turned out.