News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

AE34 Project

Started by NYFED, August 25, 2009, 05:22:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NYFED

Here are some pics of the AE34 Project I started today. The patient is definitely out of the woods but still remains an inpatient for more procedures.

First Three photos: how the victim was found at crime scene
Last three photos: after surgery

NYFED

This set of pics is of the handset after 'surgery'. The doctor feels that it can be reattached without complication.

McHeath

Wow, a pretty dirty phone to start with.  Where did it live out it's life?  Looks like you are making good progress Doc. ;)

NYFED

MC- Thanks. It was an Ebay purchase. I'm sure the previous owner gave up on it. Doesn't have the ringer assembly though, so I may use one from an AE40 for the time being. Still a work in progress, though.

mienaichizu

good job doc! I really love the curves of AE34

Dan

An AE34 is one phone I wish I had. Yours is a beauty! Keep up the surgery Doc, the patient is in good hands.
"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

ntophones

Oh, wow!!!!!! That gives me hope for some of the ebay phones I've seen, but have been too scared to bid on.

What are you using to polish it? It looks great!
ntophones
--nto

HobieSport

Great work on the AE 34!

Yep, another phone that I may never own (though I do have a small herd of the much more common AE 40s)

I just took this screen shot of Bogart in "The Maltese Falcon". Thought you might enjoy seeing an AE 34 in action...

-Matt
-Matt

JorgeAmely

NYFED:

Gary Geoff can get you a rubber gasket for the base of your AE34 phone. That will really make it look good. I believe they are $11.

gdgoff@gmail.com

Jorge

NYFED

Jorge- THANKS! I just emailed him!

Matt- Thanks! The 34 was one of my 'wish list' phones I figured would always stay on the list. I bought it on Ebay after losing auction after auction.  I guess this one looked so bad nobody wanted to even attempt it.  So I figured, what the heck! And here I am: still working on it. LOL!

NTO- Thanks! This is the one phone I figured would end up my white whale.  As far as the work: OH BORTHER! Let me tell you: when I say I worked on it ALL day I mean A L L day! First, I stripped most of the crap off with No 7 Polishing paste and my ryobi.  Then I polished it with Brasso and my Ryobi and rotary car polisher.  I did this at least 4 times.  I then used my dremel and a cloth polishing wheel with Brasso on the small areas and the handset/handset pieces.  Next, I used mother's carnauba and a wet t-shirt by hand.  This was done like you would if you were spit shining a pair of boots.  Then I did it again. LOL!  Like I said: ALL DAY....except for the occasional break (my work table is 7 feet away from the garage fridge-where I keep my beer. I had just one, though!) I have just one more step to do- if it works, I will give you all a heads up how it worked.

Dan- Thanks! I've worked hard on this one and plan to do a bit more.

Next, I'm going to add a braided handset cord  (I know- not original, but I think they add quite a bit to these older phones).  I stripped the black paint off of the handset bands and earpiece center so I will redo it in the brass and maybe a brass fingerwheel.  I'll take pictures of the transformation. Hopefully I will be able to find an original ringer.

ntophones

Oh, I think it will be wonderful, and the envy of those of us that think that phone is such a neat phone!
Keep it up!
Thanks for the info on the polishing. I've never tried the No.7 compound.
ntophones
--nto

NYFED

An open question for the forum: I have found that A LOT of the connection in this phone were soldered.  Did AE (or anyone for that matter) solder wires at this point (1930's)?  I am tempted to desolder the connections and spade tip the wires. Any ideas? Also, does anyone know of a source for multi-colored cloth covered wire (black and red, blue and white, etc)?

Dennis Markham

I don't recall off hand any other brands where the wires are soldered.  I wouldn't "desolder" them.  If it ain't broke, don't fix it seems to be the advice that often applies.  It does make things more difficult for cleaning, but again, I would leave it as it is.  That's just one opinion.

NYFED

Dennis-
            I agree to a point. I would like to restore it to original condition.  Like replacing the cloth covered wiring with new but original color wires.  I bought brass spades some time ago, so that would be 'originalish' too..  the ringer will be original too, assuming I can find one.  Since I have the phone open, I figure rewiring would make sense, insofar as desoldering.  Yes, Dennis, my obsessiveness sometimes gets the best of me.

HobieSport

I'm just wondering if an AE 40 ringer would fit in a 34? I've never seen a 34 in person, so I couldn't say, but AE 40s are cheap and plentiful on Ebay.
-Matt