News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

My Dad's 40 Years with Illinois Bell and his "Collection"

Started by MagicMo, November 18, 2012, 12:20:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Phonesrfun

These were often used in hotel rooms, and as such have even earned the nickname of a hotel phone.  Also offices and factories as intercoms.  Perhaps a hotel room number, although the large vermillion number does not look very elegant.
-Bill G

DavePEI

Hi Maureen:

You have an incredible collection there. We may yet see you becoming a collector with some great pieces!

Dave
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

MagicMo

Quote from: DavePEI on November 23, 2012, 09:56:47 PM
Hi Maureen:

You have an incredible collection there. We may yet see you becoming a collector with some great pieces!

Dave

Funny you say that. I am beginning to think this stuff is cool. The more I learn about it the more I like it. I'm going to take it slow, I'm only in the "dating" stage right now. Not ready for a commitment just yet! LOL
Maureen
Practice Kindness :)

MagicMo

Can anyone tell me about this phone? For some reason it has become my favorite. I cannot find anything about 402A?
Thanks, Maureen

AE_Collector

Somone might know exactly what a 402A is but basically it is a Western Electric 302 desk phone....AKA the "Lucy Phone". The two buttons on front are an "aftermarket" addition which likely detracts from its value. I think you have more than one like that though. If so find a good one, polish it up and it would be an ideal keepsake to remember your dad by. Not much says Bell System or Western Electric as loudly as a 302 phone (IMHO).

Terry

Phonesrfun

It looks from the bottom to have some different looking brass screws.  That and the two push buttons are curious.  Wonder what it looks like inside?
-Bill G

poplar1

402 has an exclusion key that is operated by pulling up one of the plungers. When you hang up the phone it automatically restores the excluded extension(s).
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Greg G.

Quote from: MagicMo on November 23, 2012, 10:58:25 PM
Can anyone tell me about this phone? For some reason it has become my favorite. I cannot find anything about 402A?
Thanks, Maureen

That's the first time I've seen one of those.  I can only tell you it was made in May 1950 (5-50).
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

MagicMo

Quote from: AE_collector on November 23, 2012, 11:27:22 PM
Somone might know exactly what a 402A is but basically it is a Western Electric 302 desk phone....AKA the "Lucy Phone". The two buttons on front are an "aftermarket" addition which likely detracts from its value. I think you have more than one like that though. If so find a good one, polish it up and it would be an ideal keepsake to remember your dad by. Not much says Bell System or Western Electric as loudly as a 302 phone (IMHO).

Terry

Now that I took a closer look.. could it be a 40 2A? Whatever that is? There is a space bet the 0 and the 2.

AE_Collector

No that must just be a quirk of the stamp that does the numbers. 402 is what it is. As Poplar1 says, 'll bet that each of the cradle plungers look a bit different. One can be grasped and plled up a bit higher as an "Exclusion" feature. This allowed the boss to operate it when on a call and it disconnected the connection to the secretaries phone which the secreatary had to be able to place and answer calls for the boss. By Excluding the secretaries phone, private calls could not be listened in on.

Terry

GusHerb

I'd go insane if I ever ran into a goldmine like this! All this stuff is so awesome! I see alot of things in the photo's I've been needing/wanting. I see the OP is in the Chicagoland area too!
Jonathan

Bill

Quote from: AE_collector
The two buttons on front are an "aftermarket" addition which likely detracts from its value.
Agreed. The consumer electronics stores have switches like this for about a buck. For instance, take a look at Radio Shack item number 275-1548. It would be interesting to know how these were wired in to the phone, and figure out their purpose.

Bill

MagicMo

Hello Again,
I posted pics of this one before. You cannot see from the picture but it is in beautiful shape, possibly never even used. The small piece that goes on the front dial was never used, I opened the envelope it came in. It is just very dusty. Does the yellow dot and writing on the backside have any meaning?
Thanks,
Maureen

MagicMo

My husband said "Lil" on the back was prob the name of the person who inspected it. True?

Dennis Markham

I have seen some penciled initials and/or a name on the bottom of the 500's in the past.  I don't recall ever seeing anything in color like Lil wrote.  There is another making on the bottom of yours that may be a refurbish date...it's difficult to read but looks like it was in '55?  Looks like 7R11-55.  I believe the R indicates a repair or refurbish date.  It could be November of 1955 or II (the 2nd quarter of 55).