News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

My new Kellogg

Started by Pourme, October 19, 2016, 07:03:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pourme

I don't know the proper model number of this Kellogg in the "ashtray family" , but it was one of the phones on my want list I bought off EBAY for $25.00+ $8.25 shipping.

Someone changed the cords and installed one of those tweeters.

Can someone tell me how bad it was messed up on the inside? It wouldn't ring when I tested it.

I don't regret the purchase and will order a ringer for it next, I am stalking one on EBAY now!

I am also looking at a ashtray with a dial blank as well, I like these phones!
Benny

Panasonic 308/616 Magicjack service

poplar1

It appears all the "improvements" (new cords and buzzer) are reversible. This model did not have an induction coil or condenser or ringer; all of those parts were in a separate subset, whether a local battery (hand generator and dry cells) or common battery (pick up and the operator answered).
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

rdelius

That is a Chicago Old Telephone refurb. That buzzer gave us fits until we replaced the neon lamp assy with a capacator in about the 1 uf range.Most of these sets we put a AE mini network inside

Pourme

Quote from: rdelius on October 19, 2016, 12:40:02 PM
That is a Chicago Old Telephone refurb. That buzzer gave us fits until we replaced the neon lamp assy with a capacator in about the 1 uf range.Most of these sets we put a AE mini network inside

What you are saying is, the buzzer should buzz when prompted (to 'ring') by my tester, but the parts were unreliable parts as used here?
Benny

poplar1

Quote from: rdelius on October 19, 2016, 12:40:02 PM

Those high-voltage buzzers with neon lamp in series, when connected to a central office line on a SLC, would trip ring and busy out the line. (The tech who installed it, who was ex-Bell management, told the customer that meant there was not enough voltage for the buzzer!...Not! Left it for someone else to fix.)
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

rdelius

We  bought the buzzers with the neon lamps that act somewhat like a capacitor and block DC.from Phoneco but they failed to buzz with any level you could hear.if the neon lamp was replaced with a 1uf or somewhat larger capacitor,the buzzer was louder.This increased the ringing load.Later buzzers had a thermistor? and worked better.Make sure the washer om the buzzer can move.Adjust level with the screw.I think this was a 700 series set

Pourme

Quote from: rdelius on October 19, 2016, 04:24:58 PM
We  bought the buzzers with the neon lamps that act somewhat like a capacitor and block DC.from Phoneco but they failed to buzz with any level you could hear.if the neon lamp was replaced with a 1uf or somewhat larger capacitor,the buzzer was louder.This increased the ringing load.Later buzzers had a thermistor? and worked better.Make sure the washer om the buzzer can move.Adjust level with the screw.I think this was a 700 series set

I did adjust the screw. It does make a sound now. As you say, it isn't very loud, more like a rattle than a buzz. I polished it up and it looks great next to the hand full of phones that reside on my desk! I'm very pleased with the phone purchase, at $25.00 it's a bargain to me!

Thanks for the input guys!
Benny

Pourme

One question:

The imprint on the transmitter on the handset. I see some that are filled with white and some aren't. Which is correct? The white looks better in my judgement. What is used to fill in the lettering?

On mine, in the cleaning process I noticed it was mostly dirt and dust.
Benny

paul-f

Quote from: Pourme on October 19, 2016, 07:03:47 AM
I don't know the proper model number of this Kellogg in the "ashtray family" , but ... <snip>

I am also looking at a ashtray with a dial blank as well, I like these phones!

You can find reference info on the Kellogg phones here:

http://www.telephonecollectors.info/strombergcarlson/kellogg/kellogg_main.htm

Here's a page from catalog 100...

(edit: replaced attachment)
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

Doug Rose

Benny .....500 posts in about NINE months!!!  WOW!!!....by the way...nice phone....Doug
Kidphone

Pourme

Thanks for the information, unbeldi & Paul-f. Those catalogs are interesting. I printed some pages. I found information on my Kellogg F-2816 wall phone as well. 

Doug, sometimes I get a bit talkey....Whats even more amazing to me (and my wife) are the 60 phones I have purchased in the same period of time! I'm sure the interaction on this forum had a direct influence on those purchases!
Benny