News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

I need a link please.... or where to get some information on 500 sets....

Started by LoveOldPhones, November 02, 2016, 08:55:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LoveOldPhones

OK one last question before i go to bed.....  the  6 holes in the ear piece.... in the handset.... of the early 500 sets..... when did they add that extra center hole ?  Thanks

unbeldi

Quote from: LoveOldPhones on November 03, 2016, 02:09:13 AM
Thanks for providing the picture of the green phones.  thats what I wanted to know.  I know about the grey cords  because I have two 500 sets in rose beige and that lovely blue that have the grey cords.   they are my favorites.... but the cheesy smell keeps me from actually using them.  lol

I had them hooked up for a while but everytime I spent more than a few minutes on the phone.... the smell would drive me nutz.  so now.... they just sit on a table and look at me.    I tried putting a sock over the handset but smell came the the sock and it was still pretty bad.

i guess its probably just as well they don't get used.... but I really enjoyed them when they were hooked up.....
till the cheesy smell drove me away. lol

anyway... thanks  for the pictures everyone.   I really appreciate it.

Here are some more...

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=12601.msg132364#msg132364

unbeldi

Quote from: LoveOldPhones on November 03, 2016, 04:18:21 AM
OK one last question before i go to bed.....  the  6 holes in the ear piece.... in the handset.... of the early 500 sets..... when did they add that extra center hole ?  Thanks

The change in injection molds took place apparently gradually in 1959.  Some caps dated that year have center hole, others do not.  This appears as a simultaneous change over from CAB plastics to ABS plastics in the same period. By January 1960, essentially all—we have found just a couple exception the first week of 1960 or so—color sets have center holes in the caps and molded date dials instead of ink stamps.

LoveOldPhones

Unbeldi .... thanks for the info  I really love those green phones. and I am glad to finally know about the holes in the ear piece.

So... is this a way to tell if a phone is really from the 50's ?  I have seen alot of claims that phones are mid 50's but then there is that center hole in the ear piece and I wondered.  yes it could be a replacement but  on an original phone.... there should not be a cent hole in that ear piece.

thanks for your post.

TelePlay

Just wanted to add that it seems there was an overlap during the change from 6 to 7 holes in the receiver cap between soft plastic no center hole and ABS no center hole handset caps. I have a pink 500 right in that date range which has a soft plastic handset but ABS caps with NO center hole in the receiver cap. Handset faded light, caps darkened. Bezel is soft plastic (lightened) and housing was ABS (darkened).

unbeldi

Quote from: LoveOldPhones on November 03, 2016, 12:46:08 PM
Unbeldi .... thanks for the info  I really love those green phones. and I am glad to finally know about the holes in the ear piece.

So... is this a way to tell if a phone is really from the 50's ?  I have seen alot of claims that phones are mid 50's but then there is that center hole in the ear piece and I wondered.  yes it could be a replacement but  on an original phone.... there should not be a cent hole in that ear piece.

thanks for your post.

You always have to look at all parts, starting from the markings on the base, then the dial, on the housing, and the handset parts.
Many phones were constantly placed and removed from services, each time refurbished to present an impression as close to new as possible, and with the specs of new phones.
But often we do find examples that are still in the state of first issue, and those are the collectors' treasures, usually.  The desire is always to get a phone with all dates matching a close, reasonable assembly period.

The center hole is just one indication of a phone made after 12/59.  Starting in January 1960, they also stopped using ink stamps on housings and in handsets.  There are several discussions on the forum about that, even detailed to the colors of ink used in various years in the 50s.
This forum contains a lot of information, discussions, and examples of all kinds of details.  It's best to keep searching and flowing links, and reading. It's almost impossible to recap all the info in one answer here.

LoveOldPhones

yeah this is all fun.... I keep looking and trying to learn. thanks for the information.  I know alot of parts got switched around  over the years... ya have to expect that.

I'm glad I still have all my famlies original phones from all the years back to the wooden box telephones.  they still have all the original parts from the factory.  I had an interest in them from the time I was very young.  I guess that's how this phone disease starts. lol

unbeldi

LoveOldPhones

Quote from: unbeldi on November 03, 2016, 08:58:57 PM
Here is a topic that discussed handset caps and holes in particular, in case you haven't found it yet:

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=14706.0

GREAT thanks....  I'll read it first chance I get....  there is alot to take in and I just don't have too much reading time at the moment.... but I'll get to it.
thanks for your help