News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Has anyone tried rustoleum Recolor on telephones?

Started by Jim Stettler, January 18, 2016, 10:47:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WEBellSystemChristian

Quote from: Autonut on February 09, 2016, 01:03:58 AM
This could be an episode for Mythbusters. As Jamie and Adam would say: "BUSTED"

No, they wouldn't be done yet. They would find some way to make the housing explode... ::)
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

TelePlay

Was still wondering about this so found the TV video and did some looking. Found this negative review which I think is similar to what happened with the 302 housing. This is but one of several negative reviews on Amazon but this one most closely fits the phone housing issue.

"We think it best to post a fact about this product. DO NOT USE IT ON YOUR HEADLIGHTS PLASTIC LENS. Despite the instructions regarding the product by the company that it can be applied to the headlight lens. It was discovered that if the product is used on the headlight plastic LENS it will start to come off leaving a unremovable horrible pattern on the headlight LENS that appears very bad and will effect the lights pattern on the road and permanently damaging the headlights. Several email attempts to contact the company went unanswered. It's very sad when a company endorses the use of this product on the headlight LENS and then will not help the buyer with resolving the problem."

The TV ad shows the product being applied to a lot of stuff and all of it harder than a plastic phone housing. I would think the modern ABS headlight covers are similar in plastic composition to phone housings, at least the same class of plastics (just guessing here on that). I base that on having used phone housing polish on headlight and headlight restoration products on phone housing interchangeably. Novus works well on headlights.

It may indeed be the case that the chemicals in the WipeNew affect "softer" materials where harder finishes (auto trim, vinyl siding, paint or powder coat, etc) won't "dissolve" and will allow the WipeNew to dry on the surface producing an improved looking finish. I found the TV ad deceptive in that they represented the newly applied wet surface as the final result. The coating on granite was interesting and shows the WipeNew did put some sort of protective "finish" on the stone. However, on the dried blue and red objects, I can see what looks like streaks in the dried finishes.

It really might be that the chemicals in WipeNew do more to "soft" plastics than just coat the surface. They may soak into and chemically change the plastic making it permanently soft or susceptible to damage from simple wiping. If I had $20 I'd but some and do a test on various objects. One test would be to wipe everything more that one swipe with a white tower to see which material begin to dissolve, which dissolve faster.

One chuckle in the TV ad had to do with what was included in the purchase. They provide "gloves to keep your hands clean." Yeah, sure, but more likely to keep your skin alive and kidneys healthy.

All this much the same way a sticker with the wrong or interactive glue placed on a phone for some time will see the glue affect with the plastic leaving a forever altered plastic surface under the sticker, when removed.

One conclusion would be if one wants a nice, shiny phone housing, try a large can of elbow grease . . .