"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

New Phone - Premier ASH 2500

Started by dc4code, May 27, 2018, 04:51:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dc4code

Hey, Guys, my grandma found an old phone at work and she gave it to me,

It says on the back '04-98' so I'm assuming it was made in April of '98 but that's not really old.

I opened it up and I saw on the back of the keypad I see a microchip I believe it is a Multiplexer of some sort.
You guys know on the old touch-tone model 2500s from the 80s and late 70s that once you press 2 keys at once you here that weird tone? It doesn't work on this one I'm assuming its because this one has a microchip and the older ones do not.

It is a premier ASH 2500

If anyone wants a picture of the inside of the phone just let me know, I'm not at my house but I found this picture that's exactly the one I have.

Key2871

You are correct, those did not use two coils to produce the multiplex tone, like the older dials did. So pushing two buttons at the same time does not produce the "wired tone"
In fact it will produce a single digit tone by cancelling out the second digit that was pressed.
And yes touch tones are produced by the chip along with other components on the back of the dial.
And actually subtract 6 months from the date printed on the bottom of the set. They dated them six months in advance of actual mfr date.
KEN

dc4code

Quote from: Key2871 on May 27, 2018, 05:32:59 PM
You are correct, those did not use two coils to produce the multiplex tone, like the older dials did. So pushing two buttons at the same time does not produce the "wired tone"
In fact it will produce a single digit tone by cancelling out the second digit that was pressed.
And yes touch tones are produced by the chip along with other components on the back of the dial.
And actually subtract 6 months from the date printed on the bottom of the set. They dated them six months in advance of actual mfr date.

Thanks for the info :)

dc4code

Quote from: Key2871 on May 27, 2018, 06:19:58 PM
Any time..

Look like my phone was actually made in October of 1997 in that case :)

AL_as_needed

Quote from: Key2871 on May 27, 2018, 05:32:59 PM

Why would they date them in advance? Was  that how long they estimated they would sit as stock before entering field service?
TWinbrook7

Key2871

It's what Cortelco did. They figured it would take about six months to stock and sell the phones. At least that's what I was told by someone else who knew someone who worked at the plant.
KEN

compubit

Could have been for warranty purposes - with these being purchased in bulk, keeping track of receipts and "which phone was ordered when" is almost impossible in large installations.  Make sense?

Jim
A phone phanatic since I was less than 2 (thanks to Fisher Price); collector since a teenager; now able to afford to play!
Favorite Phone: Western Electric Trimline - it just feels right holding it up to my face!