News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

1901 Stromberg-Carlson Local Battery "Central Energy" Telephone

Started by magicbrain, September 17, 2018, 12:53:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

magicbrain

https://www.ebay.com/itm/vintage-Stromberg-Carlson-wall-phone-/253850606934

I found this Stromberg-Carlson telephone on ebay completely by accident while doing a search for something non-phone related - it was listed under "Vintage Amplifiers & Tube Amps"

After taking a quick look at the pictures & finding it pictured in the 1901 SC catalog, I hit the BIN button getting it for $69.99 + $23.20 shipping.

It seems to be nearly complete & in decent shape, although that cut out in the back board probably doesn't belong there - I will know more when I receive it.

Does anyone have one of these telephones?
Bruce

Sargeguy

It looks to me like the battery box opened via a panel in the front that was probably prone to falling off, the owner decided it would be easier to fasten the panel and replace the battery by going through the back.  Or they converted it to CB and wanted to secure the panel.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

oldguy

Gary

Jim Stettler

Quote from: Sargeguy on September 17, 2018, 06:20:17 PM
It looks to me like the battery box opened via a panel in the front that was probably prone to falling off, the owner decided it would be easier to fasten the panel and replace the battery by going through the back.  Or they converted it to CB and wanted to secure the panel.
Your first guess sounds more likely. If it was converted to common battery then why cut the hole? If it is common battery it was probably converted later than the hole
just a guess,
JMO,
Jim S.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

poplar1

If it is now common battery then there should be a capacitor in series with the ringer. Can you check?

The name "local battery 'central energy'" seemed like an oxymoron when I first read it. But the catalog description shown says the "central energy" is for the ringing. So there is no generator to signal the operator. Either going off hook (or pushing an optional button) must have signaled the operator.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

tubaman

Has someone modified the bells, as they look way too far apart to come into contact with the clapper?
:)

Sargeguy

Quote from: Jim S. on September 21, 2018, 12:43:47 AM
Your first guess sounds more likely. If it was converted to common battery then why cut the hole? If it is common battery it was probably converted later than the hole
just a guess,
JMO,
Jim S.

They may have cut the hole in order to install the wooden panel that hald sthe battery boz door/panel from the back
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

magicbrain

The phone showed up & was packed very well by the seller, so no shipping damage.
The bad - almost all of the wiring is missing, the shelf is glued down to the battery box, a few spots are patched with wood filler & a heavy coat of polyurethane(ugh) over everything.
Still, nothing that can't fixed & it has to be a fairly rare phone - I am very happy with it.
It was converted at some point - there is a large capacitor attached to the back of the battery door and the triplet was changed to one with only two terminals.
The opening looks as if it was made by a table saw & was probably done as suggested to install the capacitor - although why they did it this way instead of just attaching it to the back board?

Bruce

oldguy

I can't wait to see the finished product. Since it's gutted, are you planning on making it work on a pots line?
Gary

magicbrain

I will try to put it back to the condition when it was last in use - stripping the poly, replacing wiring, adding the correct SC transmitter & receiver, etc. - not necessarily to "working" condition.

Some more pictures.

Bruce

Sargeguy

Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409