News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

WE Grey 500 Set Handset Cord Installation Help Needed

Started by Doug Rose, March 18, 2018, 10:33:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Rose

I bought Oxford Grey set to sell, but the unique color has grown on me. I think I'd like to keep it.

Anyone has a nice one for sale or trade please PM me. Curly or straight is fine...thx....Doug
Kidphone

Doug Rose

I received a box today from Forum Member Bill Compton with a perfect Grey 500 Handset cord for my Oxford Grey 500 set.  He messaged me last week, he had one and was sending it to me a fellow Forum Member. His generosity is amazing. I am thrilled.......Doug
Kidphone

HarrySmith

Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Doug Rose

I am not a 500 guy, do these just snap in the handset. I certainly don't want to damage it, just pull it through? Until it snaps in?  Any help is greatly appreciated....Doug
Kidphone

JorgeAmely

Quote from: Doug Rose on March 24, 2018, 02:59:31 PM
I am not a 500 guy, do these just snap in the handset. I certainly don't want to damage it, just pull it through? Until it snaps in?  Any help is greatly appreciated....Doug
Depending on the handset, there is a catch assembly inside into which the cord slips into to prevent it from slipping off the handset. Nice cord.
Jorge

Doug Rose

Thanks Jorge....how about removing the old cord?  Just pull it out? Or cut it.  Not much of value in the old cord....Doug
Kidphone

HarrySmith

You need to open up the handset cap, remove the element, remove the holder & take the wires off the back of the holder, then pull it out.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

RotarDad

Doug - The install on the non-Bakelite G handsets is pretty easy due to the large hollow channel inside in handset.  If you have trouble getting the wires to feed through, you can stick a drinking straw down from the earpiece end and then feed the white wire spades into the straw end.  If you move slowly, you can pull the straw back out while feeding the wires through with your other hand.  Don't toss the old cord - unless it's truely destroyed; folks like Jorge have crazy glue and magnifiers.... 

Btw, only the old timers here will know what a BIG deal it is that Doug Rose is keeping a 500 in his collection!!!!  You've found and sold a large number of very cool 5XX sets over the years.....   :D
Paul

Doug Rose

Hey Paul...thanks for the advice.

I have had a Blue, Red, Brown and a Grey two toned, but something about this guy just makes me want to hold on to it

Wouldn't be the same without the generosity of Skyrider Bill. I am looking forward to the cord change tomorrow.....Doug
Kidphone

Payphone installer

Always remember stare and compare when changing a part.

Doug Rose

I tried to swap out the handset cord a few minutes ago, but I have a few problems. The handset must have shrunk as I cannot remove the transmitter cup or the receiver module. I don't want to damage anything. Should I try a hair dryer on the handset. I tried banging it on my palm, but no go. I am a 500 set Newbie.....Doug
Kidphone

Doug Rose

I found a ringer dated 4 55 and a really nice open face finger wheel.

Any ideas on the transmitter cup and the receiver module, they are really stuck. Any help is greatly appreciated.....Doug
Kidphone

Doug Rose

I got the boys for this afternoon, so this will have to wait for another day....thanks....Doug
Kidphone

skyrider

Doug I have had this same trouble with the transmitter cap sticking in the handset. I used a hair dryer to heat up the cup several times and lightly tapping the cup with the rubber handle of skinning knife then tugging lightly on the contacts of the cup. The handsets I was working on were common types so I could be a bit more forceful with them. I would advise you to be very gentle with such a rare handset. Several light heating will help break the seal between handset and cup. Take your time, be very gentle let the cup cool for a while between low to medium heatings. Good Luck.

Bill

Doug Rose

Thanks to my Canadian friend Daniel B, he suggested running the handset under hot water and then bang it on a piece of wood with a towel on it. Worked like a champ. The transmitter cup was broken, but I found one in the donor set from the 4 55 ringer and it clamped tight on the cord. I am thrilled. Thanks to Skyrider Bill and Daniel B, I have a totally functioning Oxford Grey 500 set.

All dated match 2 55 except the 4 55 ringer.
Kidphone