News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Interesting Behavior on my Banjo

Started by Sigmaz, April 25, 2018, 09:46:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sigmaz

Ok so I recently picked up a Kellogg 591. this unit has had a ringer installed..
Since it was pretty much disgusting I thought tonight would be the night to start working on it.

the first thing after the initial wipe down was to remedy the sleepy dial.

I had the unit out and the entire gear train and cover was covered with some crusty corrosion.

I disassembled the gear train and cleaned/oiled all of the bits that needed oil. I used Mobile Velocite Oil No.6, it's a light spindle oil I use for my Bridgeport.

I then cleaned the cover and reassembled everything.

Here is the funky part.

I hooked the phone to my BK 1050 and tested the ringer... Of course it was setup for ground ringing so I moved the one line off of G and onto L1. so that was cleared up..

My real issue is that the 1050 doesn't count the pulses... Funny thing.. I didn't change the timing or tamper with the contacts at all, actually I removed the entire bar from the dial assembly first thing so I wouldn't bend them.

I sat this phone side by side with a WE 500 the dials ran in unison and stopped almost at the very same time so the speed seemed ok .
I picked up the aux port on the 1050 and can hear the pulses. I even noticed that the set will break dial tone on the 1050 but the analyzer just won't count the pulses??

So I tried another few things and It wasn't until I removed the spades that run from the dial and the hook switch from the F terminal and held them pinched together between my index finger and thumb that the BK finally counted the pulses??!
Perhaps the pulse isn't sharp enough with this network?
Too much capacitance in the network buffering and essentially deboumcing the pulse?

I'll have to look for a schematic of the network to understand whats happening inside that little box.
Maybe it's gone bad. I can't expect every 60 year old component to be fresh as a daisy, especially after seeing this corrosion in the dial mech.

What are your thoughts?

thanks

poplar1

Quote from: Sigmaz on April 25, 2018, 09:46:52 PM

So I tried another few things and It wasn't until I removed the spades that run from the dial and the hook switch from the RR terminal that the BK finally counted the pulses??!

Dial should connect to F and RR --  but hookswitch connects to F, not to RR.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Sigmaz

I'm sorry.. I misread the markings .. it is on F

I've updated my original post.

darn.. I was all excited there for a min..

RB

I am no wizard, but what happens if you lift the ringer wire back off, and leave it off and try the dial?
Maybe your ringer is eating your signal???

Sigmaz

Quote from: RB on April 26, 2018, 10:18:19 AM
I am no wizard, but what happens if you lift the ringer wire back off, and leave it off and try the dial?
Maybe your ringer is eating your signal???

Good thinking..
Yeah, I tried that too.... Same result.

I'm thinking there's an issue with the network. Looking at a typical network diagram it appears that there is a Resistor and a capacitor between F and RR presumably to prevent the contacts of the dial from eroding due to arcing, much like the condenser on kettering ignition systems were used.
on this particular breakdown there is also what appears to be a varistor tapped between C and the point between the resistor and capacitor that bridge F and RR..
But I don't think that has anything to do with this issue.

I have another 425 network out of a 500 I'll try to install and test again.