News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Pitted plastic techniques?

Started by Gilas, May 31, 2012, 12:40:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gilas

I was given a 302 that has obviously seen better days and need some advice from the experts.  As you can see there are several larger pits or chunks in the housing and I was wondering the best way of dealing with them.  I believe that most of the small ones that you see will come out with a lot of sanding but the larger ones just seem to go to deep. I read an article that someone filled small deeper ones with super glue then sanded it down and the finish is reflected but with these right at the front and as big as they are not sure if that would work.  Is there a filler that I can use that would look good and do the job?  BTW the line is a scratch not a crack and should come right out.  Thanks in advance for the help.

Mike

LarryInMichigan

That sure looks like metal to me.  I restored a badly rusted and pitted AE step-base candlestick using Bondo brand Glazing & Spot Putty.  The putty emits noxious fumes, and the process is really messy, but as far as I could tell, this is the method used to restore pitted metal on automobile bodies.  I bought the putty at an auto parts store.

Larry

Gilas

I thought it was metal as well with the picture I was given by him but it is plastic. Dated 5/2/48. I wish it was metal. Alot easier to deal with lol

Doug Rose

Mike...there are sometimes that you just harvest the parts that you can from a phone for future use. This looks like that time.....Doug
Kidphone

MDK

I used epoxy and paint to repair a badly damaged shell. It's time consuming and certainly not worth the time to do for monetary value, but it is sort of rewarding for me to know I can if needed.

See this thread.