and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

What kind of #2?

Started by Nilsog, June 09, 2012, 12:24:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wds

Dave

poplar1

That's a 2HB. Unfortunately, the 132-B unnotched number plates go for more than a 2A or 2H dial WITH an unnotched number plate!
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Nilsog

Oi... guess it's on the back burner for a while then... Thanks, guys!
Ken

Phonesrfun

I don't know if you noticed, but OPW has dial plate overlays that go right over a damaged plate.  Those aren't much.

-Bill G

Nilsog

Bill I have seen those, problem being my plate is so damaged  the porcelain has actually come off a large area covering the 7 and 8 digits, so my plate is useless even if I were to buy an overlay.

And you guys weren't kidding... this is the plate that my dial has in it right now... I put a couple bids in around $50, but after $80 I knew I'd had it.
Ebay auction link
Ken

Phonesrfun

I know what you mean about those porcelain number plates.  I have one too, with large chunks missing.  Since your number plate is obviously damaged beyond repair, you could possibly fill in the deep holes with something like auto spot putty or some acrylics that women use for finger nails (That stuff comes in handy sometimes), however spot putty comes in a tube and is easy to form and smooth down and is made for sanding.

That would provide a smooth surface for the overlay to stick to.

-Bill G

Nilsog

The more I hang around you guys the more I think there's never a point at which you can give up when it comes to restoring old phones! I hadn't thought of that, but will definitely give it a shot! Thanks, Bill!
Ken

ESalter

I would use something along the lines of JB Weld or some other type of epoxy.  I've had really bad luck with spot putty because it's both so soft and brittle when it dries.  Any large surface area of putty will eventually crack, epoxy won't do that.  Just my 2 cents...

LarryInMichigan

You might want to try a porcelain filler/touch-up product.  I have made some minor dial plate repairs with Sheffield Porcelain Touch-Up.

Larry

HarrySmith

I do not remember the product name but I do remember my Dad using some kind of procelain filler/touch up on a kitchen sink. I was amazed, as it was a good sized chip missing, about the size of a half dollar, and you could barely tell it was there afterward. I would guess it was a Sears product as Dad was a "DieHard" Craftsman/Sears guy! 
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"