News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

ADSL service coming soon to my house... filter solutions?

Started by Netdewt, June 25, 2012, 10:14:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DavePEI

Quote from: poplar1 on June 25, 2012, 10:20:49 AM
Ask them to install a whole-house filter at the protector where the line comes in. You will need a separate wire or at least a separate pair going from the protector to the computer, but you won't need any individual filters at each phone.

I second that emotion. Both the Museum and our house are on a whole house filter, as we have zero problems with legacy phones.

Dave
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

DavePEI

Quote from: Netdewt on June 25, 2012, 12:48:51 PM
There is an installer coming on Saturday. I don't know what for.

I don't have an NID. The telephone wires come straight into my house to a metal "cleat". Old school I guess.

They will have to install an NID. Just mention you want a whole house filter. The filter has two outputs, one to the phone wiring, the other running directly to your computer location for your DSL. You will not need filters on each phone.

Dave
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

poplar1

>We use RDAC's now so an installer has to jumper the ADSL port onto your line at the closest connection point to your house.....Terry
[/quote]

What is a RDAC?

1/2 ringer is a fake resistance (equivalent to one half of one ringer or 0.5 REN) installed on line so that it can be tested remotely and won't show open if you have all your phones unplugged.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

twocvbloke

Quote from: poplar1 on June 25, 2012, 11:14:08 PM1/2 ringer is a fake resistance (equivalent to one half of one ringer or 0.5 REN) installed on line so that it can be tested remotely and won't show open if you have all your phones unplugged.

Ah, like the resistor fitted inside of our Master sockets, used for testing purposes... :)

poplar1

In the days of leased phones (when the Bell companies owned all the phones), you had to have at least one phone that was hardwired. Or, if all the phones were portable (4-prong jacks), you had to have an extension ringer box that was hardwired.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

twocvbloke

It was pretty much the same here, before the BT plug was invented, the GPO had the optional setup (Plug 420 and Jack Socket 95A) where you could move a phone about from room to room depending on where you wanted it, but you had to have the system wired up with a hardwired bellset in order to keep the line connected... :)

Personally I think the GPO Plug 420 looked neater than the BT 431A plugs, but I guess they found that kids liked sticking their fingers in holes and getting a jolt of AC ringing current, resulting in the need for the standard BT plug & socket... :-\

dsk

My suggestion is to have one filter-box located near the first socket or the NID, and have separate circuits for telephone and ADSL modem.  One filter = one possible source of failure  ;D

dsk

AE_Collector

Quote from: poplar1 on June 25, 2012, 11:14:08 PM
What is a RDAC?

Remote Deployment Access Cabinet. Fiber to the cabinet located much closer to your house to provide higher speed ADSL service and/or IP TV service by Telso's. Typically deployed along side the existing cable cross connect cabinets in neighborhoods.

Terry

Netdewt

The phone co installed a whole house filter at no charge! No NID either, they just stuck it to the ceiling where the line comes in.