News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Two Tone AE 80

Started by HarrySmith, July 07, 2010, 08:38:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HarrySmith

I got this phone off eBay recently because I like the color. As soon as I took it out of the box I thought WOW, this would look great with a black dial and handset!
A week later; here it is! ;D
I believe the world's only two tone AE 80 :o
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

JorgeAmely

Harry:
Does it have a black lift?
Jorge

LarryInMichigan

It looks great and amazingly clean.  This is an early AE80.

Larry

HarrySmith

Thanks guys ;D
It is an early one as evidenced by the 1959 date on the bottom. It better look clean, I just spent a few hours cleaning & polishing ;)
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

AE_Collector

Quote from: HarrySmith on July 07, 2010, 08:38:27 PM

Au Contraire, yee unknowing AE fan....

AE put out two tone 80's just like your nice looking replica. I'm not certain that the Jade Green / Ebony Black combination was offered but quite likely it was. Somewhere I have a list and maybe pictures of available combinations.

That is an early AE80 set with chromed plungers, odd shaped feet and potted network so it is a suitably early production doner phone to the project.

Terry

stub

Harry,
          Go here and download  AE  Co. 1957  Catalog, pg. 9" How to order Types 80 and 90 telephones.  The 80's look good but not the 90's, to me !
           I had a pic of a white body and black dial and handset. I didn't like it. I forgot where is at?
             Anyway yours looks great!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.   stub

http://tinyurl.com/y8v7ttk
Kenneth Stubblefield

stub

Harry,
         I found it !!!!!!!!!  Go to General Discussion , pg. 11 , Two Tone 80's and  90's.
         Look at the pic of the one Jorge put together!!!!!  It is still HOTTTTT!!!!
                                                                                                                 stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

JorgeAmely

Quote from: ae_collector on July 07, 2010, 10:45:02 PM
Quote from: HarrySmith on July 07, 2010, 08:38:27 PM

Au Contraire, yee unknowing AE fan....

AE put out two tone 80's just like your nice looking replica. I'm not certain that the Jade Green / Ebony Black combination was offered but quite likely it was. Somewhere I have a list and maybe pictures of available combinations.

That is an early AE80 set with chromed plungers, odd shaped feet and potted network so it is a suitably early production doner phone to the project.

Terry

Aguante sus caballos, Sr. Terry. There is a picture somewhere (in one of the web museums) that shows a green tone tone AE80. However, if it has a black lift, most likely it is a genuine two tone AE80, if not, it could be that someone swapped the black housing for one in green.

Jonathan posted this picture months ago.

Jorge

McHeath

Nice looking two tone.  I also recently cooked up a faux two tone, yellow and black WE500, they are striking phones and rather fun. 

HarrySmith

OK, I bow to the experts ::)
I should learn by now to never say it does not exist or has never been done before when it comes to phones :)
Terry, does the black parts look familiar? They came off one of the donor 90's I got from you ;D
Even my wife likes this one :D
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

JorgeAmely

Harry:

One thing I like about your phone is that it doesn't have a straight line ringer, instead it has a 20 Hz frequency ringer that works perfect on today's modern phone lines. It is rather rare to see those. Compare the size of the clapper with the one in a straight line ringer. I bet the whole phone shakes when that thing goes on.  ;D ;D ;D
Jorge

AE_Collector

Quote from: HarrySmith on July 08, 2010, 09:44:54 AM

Terry, does the black parts look familiar? They came off one of the donor 90's I got from you ;D

I always appreciate the recycling efforts of others Harry! Glad you are able to put everything to good use.

Terry

HarrySmith

Actually the ringer was a pain to get working. I saw the 20hz so I figured it was good. When wired to the diagram I found in the phone, pictured in another thread, it did not ring. When wired to the schematic I got from TCI still no ring. I finally connected 2 wires to the line terminals and taped up the other two to get it to ring. It rings rather weakly in my opinion.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

JorgeAmely

You still have capacitor in series with the ringer, right? I could take a picture of how mine is hooked up, if interested. If you have a DVM or analog multimeter, check for excess resistance is the circuit associated with the ringer.
Jorge

HarrySmith

What is in the picture is what I have! There is no outside capacitor on it, I assumed it was inside the network. I do have a meter but I did not check it since it was working, sort of, I did not go any further.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"