News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

F1 transmitter

Started by Tonyrotary, October 30, 2016, 02:14:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tonyrotary

When was the F1 transmitter made? I remember reading that it was back fitted to the E1 handset. My 302 has a F1 that was made in Feb 1936. Wasn't  1936 the year that the 302 was put into trials?

unbeldi

Congrats, A February 1936 F1 handset is a rarity, it was used in trials.  It most likely does not have a groove a long the handle.
What kind of receiver does it have ?

The F1 transmitter was introduced in 1934 already, and indeed it was fitted to millions of instruments even before the 302 came out in 1937.

For the first few months of 1937,  F1 handset production was still in limbo,  and didn't start until mid year. That's the reason that many of the early 302s have E1 handsets.

Tonyrotary

My handset wasn't made in 1936, just the transmitter was. My 302 was made in November 1947. The receiver was made in November 1938. Guess for some reason, some old parts were put in.

unbeldi

Oh, my mistake. Sorry.  I wonder why WECo decided to the give the same designation to the transmitter as well as the handset.

Yes, many old transmitters and receivers were reused when they passed inspection after being returned to the distribution houses for refurbishment.  The transmitters were often refilled with new granules. Sometimes they would mark that operation with a code, other times they would simply test them, and perhaps also mark them as tested.

Tonyrotary

Lol, yes naming the handset and transmitter was kind of silly. But WE wasn't  the only company to do stuff like that. My transmitter must of have been refurbished then since there are other markings on them that could be dates. One in black is 4-48F next to one that looks like T1151.

unbeldi

Quote from: Tonyrotary on October 30, 2016, 03:55:47 PM
Lol, yes naming the handset and transmitter was kind of silly. But WE wasn't  the only company to do stuff like that. My transmitter must of have been refurbished then since there are other markings on them that could be dates. One in black is 4-48F next to one that looks like T1151.

4-48F  is the carbon reFill in April 1948, and
T1151 is the Testing of November 1951.

Tonyrotary

Thanks for the info! I was kinda close in what I thought it was. I thought the F was maybe for reFurbished. Lol. Didnt know about the T. I love this phone as I always had a soft spot for the 302. I did a restoration on this phone years ago after I got it off EBay. I used the techniques on this forum to get the phone looking much better than when I got it. Thanks again for your help!

unbeldi

YW.
They are classics. I have too many of them, but not more than some other collectors here.