News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

101A Gong Apparatus

Started by zaphod01, June 28, 2014, 12:13:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zaphod01

I wanted one of these for my favorite 302. However, the only examples I had were installed in B3A ringers. I was reluctant to install a B3A ringer in place of the standard B1A. I finally got bored/brave enough to attempt to remove the 101A and reinstall it in a B1A. I used a knife blade to carefully bend back the retaining tabs. The cap came right off and the removal was accomplished without loss of life or limb. Pictures show the components, including the unusual Valentine heart shaped slot on the resonator. I carefully 'tuned' the bells before installing the cap. Last picture shows the finished product. Sounds great!

Robert
"Things are never so bad they can't be made worse." - Humphrey Bogart

Mr. Bones

Very cool, Robert!

Although I realize the interpretation of sound is highly subjective, would you please be so kind as to share your observations on the audible differences of this arrangement, vs. the standard gongs most often found in the 302?

I have at least one, possibly three phones with the same gong setup, but none of them have, thus far, been hooked up to the PSTN, or tested, so I'm certainly intrigued...

I highly value your knowledge, and opinion, so I am looking forward to your perspective on this.

Best regards!
Sláinte!
   Mr. Bones
      Rubricollis Ferus

zaphod01

It is subjective but I tested the 302 with the original bells and it produced the usual sound of a 302. I tested again while adjusting the bells so that the clapper struck both bells and came to rest in between (allowing both bells to resonate between rings). It was a big improvement from where I started and the sound definitely resonated with a pleasant and somewhat louder ring. Once I was happy with the positioning, I firmly tightened the screws and added the cap. IMHO the sound is louder and the resonation reminds me of a 534/634. I think it was well worth the effort and it looks great in the phone. The BSP lists several other options for increasing the volume for the hearing impaired. I wish I had another 101A. I would try knocking out the center piece, as described in the BSP, and add it to the other bell.

Let me know if you decide to part with one of those 101A's!

Robert
"Things are never so bad they can't be made worse." - Humphrey Bogart