News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Illegible 706 Base Stamps (GPO)

Started by FABphones, October 17, 2018, 03:56:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FABphones

I've bought this early (metal fingerwheel - at last  :) ) 706, but I can't read the fuzzy printed stamps on the base plate.

I can see GPO
(then poss 'batch sampled') ?

And further down
706L

But I can't work out the rest.
It looks like it also says 300/T (or 1). Any ideas what that might mean?
Usually there is a date.

Thanks.
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

tubaman

'GPO' and 'Batch Sampled' will be correct.
Under that will be a four digit number which I believe is the inspector's number so is of little significance.
I can't read the rest either but it could be be 'S60/1' - ie Siemens Brothers and 1960 (not sure if the '1' is the month number).

It's certainly an early one as it has domed feet, which they didn't use for long as they tended to slide around on the desk.
The two 706's that I have with domed feet are dated 1961 whereas the 1963 model I have has the later type feet.

If it hasn't had any parts changed then the receiver should have a clear date on it.  The transmitter may also be a No13 (like in the Bakelite sets) if it's still the original one.

There's plenty of info on 706's at http://www.britishtelephones.com/t706.htm 
:)

FABphones

Ah, thanks for the info tubaman.
I think whoever was responsible for the stamp on that one had too many pints at lunchtime.  ;D

It is yet another of my blurry photo finds. Metal fingerplate and looks to be Diakon. Heres hoping.  :)

Hotline

Owain

Quote from: tubaman on October 18, 2018, 01:20:51 PM
There's plenty of info on 706's at http://www.britistuffelephones.com/t706.htm

Try this linky instead
html://www.british telephones.com/t706.htm

amended to get round the stuff filter

tubaman

Quote from: Owain on October 19, 2018, 08:19:43 AM
Try this linky instead
www.britistuffelephones.com/t706.htm
pints at lunchtime indeed

There's something very odd going on as that link was definitely correct when I posted it (I tested it), but I have just tried to edit it and it changes when I preview or post it! Your's has too!!!
:o

I can see now - for some reason "sh + t" is being replaced by "stuff".
I think the profanity filter has gone a bit gaga!
;D

Jim Stettler

The link worked when it was first posted. There is a lot of info on the site.

They may have  a problem on there end.
JMO,
Jim S.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Owain

It's definately a problem with the forum software here. I've changed mine to try and get round it using URL encoding

tubaman

@Owain - I'm glad it's not just me.
Now it's even changed my post explaining what was going wrong to something else.
I've just looked up the word 'ordure' as it's not one I have ever used or even heard of!!

Basically it doesn't like the combination of 's' then 'h' then 't'.

I thing the moderators need to look at this one please.

FABphones

The link initially worked for me too. It appears our wobbly handed gpo baseplate stamper has helped find a bug in the software. I'm sure the mods here will be on to it now.  :)

FABphones

I've taken a look inside and attached photos.

Diakon handset and body, nice domed feet. Dial interesting, I took photos but they were blurred so I will have to retake another day (not the same dial as my other, slightly later Diakon 706). Transmitter/receiver dates are 59. Nice condition (thick) curly handset cord. Bottom date is 1960 (thanks guys), I'm thinking this one might be a fairly early issue for that year. '1' stamped underneath indicates first part of the year, 2 the latter part? Can't remember where I read that. It could be wrong of course.

Layers of thick dust inside, blew it out with compressed air. Oiled dial, but dial still sticks - suggestions anyone please?

Bizarrely, there is slight discolouring on some of the lettering outside the dial. Underneath, not on top. Haven't a clue how to tidy that up. Inside, looks like something spilt on the phone at some point. All parts definitely GPO issue, not repro.

A previous owner was a heavy smoker. Had to use fine sandpaper to remove the nicotine that was visible through the centre of earcap, same on transmitter.

I'll try to find time to retake the dial photos later.  :)

FABphones

Dial photos below.

This appears to be the '#12' dial which was used on the earlier 706, but our wobbly handed friend has struck again.

I can read GPO, also APPD?
I can't quite make out the other lettering, or the line which contains the date - 59? Could just as easily read 55.

Your thoughts please.

FABphones

GPO #12 dial photos added for comparison.

andy1702

Looks like a good early 706 to me. It should be a GPO one, but I wouldn't like to say without seeing the case. These also came off the production line for use on private PAX systems and it's not unknown to find one with GPO markings inside that was never supplied to the GPO. The GPO 'batch sampled' stamp on the bottom makes me think it is probably an actual GPO issue though.
Call me on C*net 0246 81 290 from the UK
or (+44) 246 81 290 from the rest of the world.

For telephone videos search Andys Shed on Youtube.