Started by Sargeguy, December 10, 2008, 10:16:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sargeguy

I picked up a WE500 as a gift for my brother-in-law of of eBay $5:

-dated 10-61 on base
-dated 8-1-58 on housing
-g1 handset
-neoprene feet
-small rounded black plungersMy 2 older 500's all have large, clear plungers. 

My other, older date 500s all have the clear plastic plungers.

How late did Western Electric use the small black plungers?
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Dennis Markham

I never really noticed the plungers to be of a different size.  The clear plastic ones came along after the black Bakelite plungers.  I don't know the exact date but in the early 60's.  Many sets with an older bottom date had the plastic replaced during a refurbish and will have the clear plungers.  I have never seen a soft plastic set with plastic plungers.  But I have seen sets into the early 1960's with the black Bakelite plungers.  When I'm surfing eBay for an old black phone one of the clues I look for are the clear plungers.  It generally means hard plastic.

Here's a nice set that someone got a great deal on tonight.

http://tinyurl.com/5jwzu7

The auction has ended so you may have to make a secondary click to view the phone.

Dennis

Sargeguy

I guess they aren't really smaller or rounder than the clear plastic ones, when I really compare them side by side-its an optical illusion.  It's amazing how its hard to find two phones from that era that are exactly alike in all there features.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

McHeath

They seem to have almost all been worked over in the Ma Bell refurb shop at some point.  That black phone that went for 10 bucks tonight on e-bay was pretty nice, and nice buy.