News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Hello folks

Started by foots, August 11, 2010, 12:47:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

foots

Thought I'd drop in and say hello to everybody. I haven't been on here in a while due to the fact that I've been really busy lately. I've been working on getting myself a house and getting it moved onto my property, and working on my old '77 F100 amongst many other things. That, combined with 100 plus degree temps here have me too burned out at the end of the day to contribute much time to my telephones, typewriters, adding machines ect... As soon as my house business gets settled, I'll hopefully be able to get back to all of those things again and spend more time here. 
"Ain't Worryin' 'Bout Nothin"

Dan/Panther

Great to hear from you again. Please drop by more often.
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

Dennis Markham

Good to see you on-line again.  See you back here when the dust settles.

Bill Cahill

When you come back, may we see many pics of your new house?
Bill Cahill  ;D

"My friends used to keep saying I had batts in my belfry. No. I'm just hearing bells....."

bwanna

hi joshua.....have been wondering about you!...yes lets see photos :)..moving a house sounds like quite the project!
donna

LarryInMichigan

Welcome back!  When I bought property, it already had a house on it.  I had to add furniture and lots of phones though.

Larry

foots

I do plan to post pictures of the house once it makes the 5 mile journey to its new resting place.
  Bwanna, most of the wood frame houses here are usually sitting on concrete or brick pillars about 12"- 24" high. It's not uncommon for houses to be sold and moved to another location, in fact there are several house moving companies in my area.

"Ain't Worryin' 'Bout Nothin"

paul-f

Why wait?  It would be fascinating to see photos before and during the move as well.  We don't see much of that in this area.
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

HarrySmith

Welcome back :)

I agree, pictures of the move would be interesting, I have never witnessed a house being moved ;D
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

McHeath

When I lived in Texas a hundred years ago the company I worked for either bought or had donated several homes that had to be moved to our site.  It was a fascinating process, the biggest house was a four square style two story built in the 1890's for the local bank president.  It had run down over the years, but still had oodles of charm.  They cut off the roof, cut all the second floor walls at the base, hinged them, and laid them down, and then plucked it up and drove it out to our property.  To put it back together required placing it on a bunch of piers, popping the second floor walls back up, and then building an entirely new roof.  As I recall that house was "free" but after the move and rebuild we probably could have built a new one for the price.

The inside walls had no plaster on them, just shiplap and then cheesecloth nailed on with wallpaper glued over that.  It had a really grand entrance stairway of dark wood, the Victorians loved dark wood and the house was filled with.  Considering that it had no insulation at all, and no plaster on the walls, and single pane wood windows it must have been an icebox in the winter.

paul-f

This thread reminded me of a page added to my site several years ago, based on discussions of Indiana Bell deciding to move one of their buildings...
   http://www.paul-f.com/ibmove.html

I doubt that many companies would attempt something like this today.  There are too many lawyers.
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

HarrySmith

WOW :o
That is incredible!
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"