"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Bell Telephone Co of Pennsylvania Plant Department 30"x13"

Started by rfkimba, October 21, 2017, 06:00:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rfkimba

Hi Collectors,

Wanted to share a high quality porcelain surprise found   hidden in a corner and  acquired near the very end of the June Lancaster ATCA show  for a mere $60 and some serious haggling   . Only defects for this giant porcelain sign with  heavy ledging  were some rust staining in the "Bell Telephone". I have had little success removing rust staining once it becomes part of the porcelain so I didn't try placing wet paper towels in EvapoRust over the letters . I also didn't have gallons to fill my bathtub to cover the sign.

This proudly adorns my door leading to my furnace room. How appropriate.

Life is simpler now that in exchange for just buying my wife our new retirement home I get to decorate the basement and of course my study.
Thoughts?
Bob Farber

AE_Collector

Nice Sign! Would be good on the door to my junk room Telephone Room.

I wonder how many people driving down the road saw this and stopped in to get some "Telephone Pea" plants for the garden?

Terry

Greg G.

I'm wondering about the application of this.  Why would the phone company be concerned about plants?  Only thing I can think of would be trees that were interfering with the old overhead telephone lines.  (It's hard to refer to something as "old" when it was the norm when I was growing up, just saying!) 
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

rfkimba

Hi,
I think  plant department refers to some type of Bell infrastructure not evergreens and shrubs.
Thanks
Bob

AE_Collector

Yes BC Tel was divided into three seperate divisions. Clerical and Traffic and Plant.

Clerical is more or less self explanatory.

They weren't overly concerned about Traffic on the roads either but they were concerned with "Traffic" on the phone network and handling all that traffic which was (in the old old days I guess) handled by the operators in the Traffic Division.

And the Plant Division is everything related to the physical "plant", cable, cross connects, CO etc. Inside Plant, Outside Plant.

Terry