News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

SC 1243 ringer

Started by johnfin, February 20, 2009, 08:28:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnfin

I was looking throught the archives and could not find a match for my problem but a similar response. Do I need to to remove the black wire from the ringer going to c1&c1 to L2 for my phone to ring?

Steve

Hope this helps.
If you're a long way from home,
Can't sleep at night.
Grab your telephone,
Something just ain't right.

johnfin

Not really. If I did that wouldnt I make a loop to the same point?

BDM

I have a 1543 which I'm almost positive uses the same network. Two wires for the ringer, one goes to connection #C-2, the other goes to connection #3. Now, do you have a frequency ringer? Meaning something other than a 20/hz ringer? It generally will say with a number stamped just below the model number. Example, it may say 1243 40 or 50 or something to that effect. If it's a straight-line, it will say SL or 20. If it's something else other than a 20/hz straight-line, it can generally be made to work with a capacitor change. It may not ring as loud, but it will work non the less.

BTW, that's a W.E. 500 series phone that Steve posted.
--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI

Steve

If you're a long way from home,
Can't sleep at night.
Grab your telephone,
Something just ain't right.

johnfin

I measured the disconnected ringer and it rang out at 1k ohms. Sounds ok I guess so I put 110vac on it with a .5mdf cap in series. Nothing. Whats the deal?

BDM

Not sure? Sounds like something should have happened. Join the TCI list server in Yahoo Groups. Put a want out for a ringer. That's where I bought the proper ringer for mine.
--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI

johnfin

I fixed the ringer and it works great. I remagnetized the ringer and added a 1mfd bypass cap from the ringer to L1.

BDM

Quote from: johnfin on February 21, 2009, 10:30:54 PM
I fixed the ringer and it works great. I remagnetized the ringer and added a 1mfd bypass cap from the ringer to L1.

Really? Seems rather large. Did you try a .5 mfd?
--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI

Dennis Markham

That is something I'd like to know more about....remagnetizing the ringer.  Early on I used to remove the coils from the C4A ringers to clean them.  It wasn't until I ruined a few that I learned taking the coils away from the ringer frame actually reduced their ringing strength.  Same with the small barrel magnet on the back.  Since then I only remove gongs for cleaning and do the best I can to clean the rest of the assembly without disassembling the ringer.  If there was a way to strengthen the magnetism again I could put those ringers back into service.

johnfin

To remagnetize, wrap a wire around the magnet, apply 12v dc momentary on it. I tried the .5 cap and it didnt work as well as the 1.0, rings well now.