News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Recent posts

Question for those running key systems:
Say you have two regular key phones on the same extension off hook and one presses the hold button and hangs up a single phone what happens?
Can you place a call on hold if another key phone is off hook?
The "A" lead from what I understand allows a call to be placed on hold and tells the lamp for that line to wink.

If a phone extension goes off hook the line card senses loop current thru the card and "A" lead connects to DC 'ground' (call in progress) via the hook switch in the phone (or via an "A-lead adapter" for a non A-lead compatible phone).

The 3 states of hold as I understand it are
1) When hold is pressed for a moment on a key phone it disconnects the "A" lead from DC ground but not the tip and ring .The line card still senses normal 'loop current' but now A lead is floating. However this would only work if the all the "A" leads were a series circuit correct? If not then any other phone off hook would keep the A lead grounded.

2) When the hold is released, it mechanically releases which ever line button is down on the set, removing the loop current. But with another extension off hook there would still be loop current flowing thru the line card so the call would not go on hold ?

3) With all phones hungup the "A" lead is floating or has a voltage potential to ground (via a relay coil or whatever circuit in the line card).
Thanks
Technical "Stuff" / Re: The end of POTS?
Last post by MMikeJBenN27 - Today at 02:11:38 PM
Last month, it was in the paper here in Northern California that ATT was again petitioning the PUC to end the requirement that they provide home telephone service, and I received a letter from the phone company as well stating that very same thing.  I just received an other letter from them telling me that I can keep my home phone service with no changes, but they are going to be offering me "alternatives" that are "better", (better for their profits, not better for me), and that regulations need to change, so hopefully that means the PUC has denied their petition.  I hope I am not speaking too soon. 

Mike
Quote from: poplar1 on Today at 01:05:18 PMIf you put your finger on the clapper, do you feel any movement?

You can temporarily disconnect the blue dial wire from RR. Then, listen in the receiver while the phone is supposed to be ringing. Do you hear anything?

I'll put my finger over the clapper later and see if I feel anything. I'll try your blue wire suggestion as well.
Quote from: LarryInMichigan on Today at 12:08:52 PMIf you connect another ringer, does it ring?  Perhaps the Telo device stopped providing ringing current.

Larry

I literally just bought another rotary phone yesterday - a desktop WE 500 - but I'm waiting for the connecting wire I ordered to get here so I can wire it up. I bought it, among other reasons, to see if it rings or not.
Quote from: HowardPgh on Today at 10:50:54 AMBefore you install the lens, remove the bulb without getting fingermarks on it. Get the fan going first, motor bearings probably need oil. Those little slide projectors get dangerously hot.
You may be better taking Sunset 12's deal.

I got the fan running and it works well, and the bulb is easy to remove (see manual photos). The condenser is held in with some tabs that you can push out of the way to take out and install the new condenser.
If you put your finger on the clapper, do you feel any movement?

You can temporarily disconnect the blue dial wire from RR. Then, listen in the receiver while the phone is supposed to be ringing. Do you hear anything?
There is no model information stamped on any of the bases on the 5 phones I have that all act the same. I think I am giving up on these and moving on. Thanks for all the help.
Another fun thing.  "Landline" calls (actually the VOIP assigned number) ring on the old phones and subsets with the familiar North American ring.  Calls to my cell number ring with the British "ring-ring" pattern.  Calls to my wife's cell ring through with a custom "long-short-long" pattern.  All programmable in the XLink settings.
I use an Xlink BTTN between the house wiring and my cable company VOIP.  It works perfectly, tolerates out of spec dials and actually has adjustments in the settings/firmware for slow dials, foreign dials, etc etc.  On incoming calls it rings a total of five WE ringers strongly in my house and that is without the "extra ringing power" you can command in the settings.  I have several phones with the ringers disabled so incoming calls do not sound like a prison break. The fact that it also connects our cells to the house phones is a bonus.  Recommended.
If you connect another ringer, does it ring?  Perhaps the Telo device stopped providing ringing current.

Larry