"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Putting together a 202.

Started by Greg G., April 04, 2011, 05:50:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg G.

Quote from: Wallphone on April 05, 2011, 07:31:01 AM
FWIW, I didn't find any info on a #6U dial either. All the docs I looked at only go as far as a #6S.
Briny, when you get a chance can you take the dust cover off and get a pic of the contacts? If you want to see one of the docs I looked at go to the TCI Library and look up 501-162-100.
Doug Pav

Here they are.  If at all possible, I want to use this dial for her phone, unless it's some super-rare and valuable dial.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

djtownsend

Bill,

You made the comment:

"Removing the T-bar type hookswitch plunger is much easier, but prone to having some difficulty getting it back together on the first try."

I am restoring a 202 and the T-bar is stuck where it does not come all of the way up when I take the handset off of the cradle.  I have to lift it with my hand to get a dialtone.  Do you have any suggestions about how to fix this?  Should I dissassemble the whole phone and try to lube up what I can or maybe replace some spring that is in there?  I obviously haven't taken it apart yet so I don't know what I have to play with there.  Have you or anyone else ever had that problem and if so, what did anyone do so that the T-bar comes all of the way up without manual effort?

Dan

Kenny C

There are 2 Rubber bushings inside that hold the spring in place, The may have dry-rotted and fallen out over the years.So now you dont have enough tension on the spring to push it up. That was what was wrong with mine.

Just a guess.
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

bingster

I've also had bushings that had contract a bit, which binds the shaft, preventing it from lifting properly.  A piece of sandpaper wrapped around a small dowel or pencil and run through the bushings enough to increase their inside diameter just a bit will correct that particular problem.
= DARRIN =

marty

Hi All;
I have a #6 Dial in either my candlestick or my D1.. And I think it is in my D1, If you need any Pictures of Attaching a #6 Dial, I can take some for you.. To help you see where thing go and how they connect... Also Look in my Previous entries under my Candlestick and/or my D1, where there are some pictures of the inside..
THANK YOU Marty

Phonesrfun

djtownsend:

Dan,

The problem is most likely the upper and lower bushings that the shaft of the T-bar travels through.  Either they have gummed up or given up the ghost entirely.  The way to disassemble it is to take the screw off the bottom end of the shaft and carefully remove the hard fiber protrusions that operate the hookswitch.  Take some pictures or make a good drawing of the position of the fiber pieces before removing them.

Once that screw is out and the fiber pieces are off, you can just pull the t-bar and plunger all the way out from the top.  There, you will see the two bushings with the spring sandwiched in-between.  (The lower bushing may hang up inside the shaft and not fall out on its own.)  The bushings are made of either a brittle hard rubber or some were made of the same fiber material that those hookswitch pieces are made of.  They can crack and fall apart.  The brass shaft could also be corroded, and you will need to clean it with steel wool accordingly to slide smoothly.

Replacement bushings can be acquired from a collector in Arizona, who I think still has them.  I think a couple of others sell them too.  Oldphoneworks may also have them.  I have seen the replacements made of both plastic and brass.

It is kind of tricky to get the bottom bushing seated right at the bottom of the housing.  I am speaking from memory here, but the upper bushing is placed on the top part of the shaft, and the spring is slid on after that.  I would not use any lubrication.  It should slide easily without. Then just slide the bar and shaft, along with the spring,  down through the housing and make sure the seating of the bushings, the travel and the sliding of the shaft all feel right.

Put those fiber tips back on along with the screw and you should be done.

It took me a couple of tries to get things seated correctly when I did it.
-Bill G

Greg G.

I need some input on painting this.  The base really isn't that bad, but the cradle area could use some attention.  If this were your phone and you were putting it together for someone who isn't going to be real picky, what would you do with it?  I may be answering my own question, but I'm inclined to just touch up the cradle area, particularly the ears and t-bar.  May not even have to remove the t-bar because the paint is only worn on top, underneath it's ok, it's just a little dirty.  The base I think would clean up nicely just buffing it a bit.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Phonesrfun

If you remove the T-Bar, you might have a problem with those pesty bushings.  They tend to be brittle and when removed, the tend to break into pieces, which means you are then into getting replacements and yada yada.

I would just mask it off and do a little rattle can paint job around the cradle area.  Make sure to mask off the shaft part of the t-bar so that paint does not get on it to the extent the hook switch will not operate.

-Bill G

bingster

I think that's what I'd do, too.  You might find though, that once you've got the cradle repainted, it'll look so nice that you'll want to do the bottom, too.
= DARRIN =