News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Can a Telic phone from France ca. 1980 be made to work in the USA?

Started by recyklotron, August 17, 2012, 01:00:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

recyklotron

Greetings,

I have my eye on this Telic phone ca. 1980 coming from France. Can it be adapted/converted to use on our modular system? I can find no info on Telic - there was one other post to this board about an older Telic but nothing was known. Are there any pitfalls newbies like me should watch out for when contemplating purchase of European telephones?
I have noticed some very interesting models from The Netherlands, The UK, France & Germany. Not to leave out the GRILLO from Italy or the very stylish TESLAs from Eastern Europe. At this time we don't really have space for shelf sitters. If we can't use them then I have to pass them up for now!

Thanks for your help,
Jonathan/recyklotron

dsk

I wouldn't be afraid for that.

Most of the world has based their systems on what USA had in the early days.

Its probably enough to change the jack plug.

As far as I know we have a few variations. Sweden has their own dial, NZ and Oslo has their reverse dial. Some systems had high speed dials with 16-20 pps instead of 10. The pulse length are near enough to be treated as equal for all other systems, The ringing are quite equal but many phones has high REN numbers. Germany uses 60V ringers, but they works with a REN up to 2.5.
Frequency ringers may be a problem, but are quite rare, most ringers operates well at 15 to 30 Hz.
UK and a few others has moved the ringer capacitor out, but it is just to put in a new.

dsk

LM Ericsson

Ive converted socotel s63s from France. They are easy to get working in the US. They had the same plugs as that Telic phone.
Regards,
-Grayson

recyklotron