News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Automatic Electric Type A to Type F US Navy Phones

Started by ntophones, January 06, 2010, 02:27:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ntophones

I'm so sorry....I hope it is not too much.
BTW, how do you attach these phones to the wall?
--nto

stub

Ntophones ,
                      Here you go . If you need anymore help, just let me know!!!!!   stub

Kenneth Stubblefield

stub

Ntophones,
                   The pic of back of phone , the 4 holes, with nothing in them ,are mounting holes.  2 round and 2 elongated, down at the bottom ,out of pic.   Btw I forgot to tell you the shouldered bolt on  paper is the correct bolts to hold the ringer, and the ringer looks right for your phone if it's a  straight line.  stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

LarryInMichigan

nto,

Where did you get a plunger?  I expect that a standard AAE50 plunger will work in your new phone.  I do not think that the plunger needs to have a spring.  The outer part of the plunger assembly screws into the threaded hole in the middle of the hook switch assembly, and the wide end of the plunger pushes down on the lever to break the hook switch contacts.  The lever will spring back up when the weight (ie. handset) is removed from the plunger.  Just remember that the plunger assembly goes into the phone after the cover has been attached, and it must be removed to remove the phone cover.  The annotated picture might help a bit.

Larry

stub

Ntophones,
                   The plunger may or may not work . Just try it when your phone comes in.  Don't worry , between all of us, we will get you fixed up.!!!   stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

ntophones

Thanks you guys!
I got the plunger from Adele, last night. But, I was emailing Steve Hilz who told me about the plungers in these AE50B phones. I think the plunger I'm getting will probably work, but, it won't really be original to the phone.
But, I thank you guys for the pictures and the help already. I'm getting it in my mind, so I'll be a little more prepared.
Again, thanks for your help, because I know I can get it with your help! So far, all my phones have been guided by you great people on this forum! I just love this stuff! :) Thank you all.

P.S. Larry, I couldn't ever get that picture! You are a genius to get it and annotate it for me! THank you!
--nto

LarryInMichigan

nto,

It could be that the plunger was different since the phone was made to go aboard a ship.  It might have had a spring to keep it from bouncing and disconnecting a call while the ship moved.  If anyone would know, Steve Hilsz would.  At any rate, as long as your house doesn't move too much, a standard plunger will likely be sufficient.

I am not a genius, but a software engineer who happens to spend most of his time developing imaging software, so I know a bit about dealing with images.  The image was annotated with my application.

Larry

stub

Ntophones ,
                 I found pattern.  Send me your address and I'll mail it to you.
 I'll have to find the wires I made for mine to show a pic., wife made me move some of my stuff ( she calls junk ) downstairs. It's packed in something, somewhere?

stubblefield5354@bellsouth.net                       stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

stub

Ntophones,
                 The back of your phone has the screws in it for the ringer!!! Be sure to look for them in box, when it comes in and the ringer appears to be a straight line. Yours has the pivot with the adj. nut like Bill has been talking about in the frequency ringer post. The mounting  hole are the 2 sm. round holes ,at the top, and 2 elongated ,at bottom, and lg round hole is for phone line in.
                 It appears you may be in better shape than you thought!!!!  Just put your ringer back in place and tighten it up, bingo you are ready to go. There are numbers ,on the base, at the bottom,    R   G   T    L1    G    L2
                                                             L-1 to GRN     L-2 to  RED   Hook up your phone like this and it should work.  After you carefully put cover on, gently snug up the two cover screws and then place switch plunger into hole , then place the spanner nut over the hookswitch plunger and tighten. Then finish tightening the 2 cover screws. Not too tight, the bakelite will bust!!!!!!! When you get this done we'll start the hard part-- wire bending!!!!!  stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

ntophones

Thanks, stub!!! I couldn't tell anything about the ringer from the picture. I'm so excited. I'm glad you told me about tightening the screws, though--I'd hate to break it.
How in the world did you interpret those letters and numbers at the bottom?
Do you have a manual or something for this phone?
Quote from: stub1953 on January 11, 2010, 09:30:18 PM
Ntophones,
                   Larry is right. My AE 35 has the same switch plunger. It should work . It's shown to be used from the 40's to at least 53, on my papers. Hope all of this pic makes it !!!   stub      use your scroll button to enlarge this pic
--nto

stub

Notphones,
                This info is from AE Circular # 1712A -  Replacement Parts  -1953     stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

ntophones

Oh, I missed that. Thanks. I didn't even see that little attachment--it is tiny! :)
--nto

stub

Ntophones ,
                       Pattern is in the mail!!!!!!  stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

ntophones

BTW, what can I open the attachment with? I have a mac. Could this file be saved as a jpeg? I understand if that is too much trouble, though, so, please don't go to any extraordinary measures. Thanks.

Thanks for mailing it so quickly!!!!!!!!!
--nto