News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

What sorts of reactions do you get?

Started by LarryInMichigan, November 20, 2009, 09:10:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

McHeath

Generally I don't get much interest from people.  I've got a 54' model 500 on my desk at work, and it once got a "Oh, you have a phone with a dially thing", but other than that nada.  Kids are often more interested, but few adults have ever done so much as a second glance.

Sargeguy

The FIOS installer was impressed.  I showed him a few items and asked him to look for subsets for me when he"s rummaging around in the basements. 

The kids at work liked to play with the 500 I kept in the office, at my old job.

When I was airing out the collection over the weekend on my porch, a few passers by commented favorably.  Some residents from the old folks home next door reminisced about owning some of them.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

twocvbloke

The reaction I generally get when other people see my phones (well, the ones I put in service) are "ooh, can I have one of your phones?" like I'm some gift shop...  ::)

Though usually I respond with a smartarse comment like "Ebay has more than I do, you should ask them!!!"... :D

I'm all for letting people look, but, I'm not giving the things away unless I really want to (like the Steepletone phone, didn't want it after I played with it, so quickest way to get rid was to give it away!!)... ::)

LarryInMichigan

I typically have the opposite response.  I have tried to give away phones to a number of friends, but almost nobody wants them.  I did give a WE 302 in beautiful condition to friends as a housewarming gift.  I also gave a 1950s black 500 to a neighbor who said that she could use a phone in her basement so that she can answer calls while doing laundry and didn't care how it looked.  Otherwise, there have been no takers.  I have a bit more success with antique electric clocks.

Larry

Greg G.

When Anita and I were interviewing a lady designer/architect in our home in preparation for our remodeling plans, she gasped when she saw the 202 sitting on the end table next to her.  I pointed out the two other phones sitting on the radio behind her, same reaction.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

DavePEI

Quote from: Brinybay on September 25, 2012, 04:34:00 PM
When Anita and I were interviewing a lady designer/architect in our home in preparation for our remodeling plans, she gasped when she saw the 202 sitting on the end table next to her.  I pointed out the two other phones sitting on the radio behind her, same reaction.
Did she say, "Boy, do you ever need remodeling" when she saw it! :) Just kidding...
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

LarryInMichigan

Quote from: DavePEI on September 25, 2012, 04:35:16 PM
Quote from: Brinybay on September 25, 2012, 04:34:00 PM
When Anita and I were interviewing a lady designer/architect in our home in preparation for our remodeling plans, she gasped when she saw the 202 sitting on the end table next to her.  I pointed out the two other phones sitting on the radio behind her, same reaction.
Did she say, "Boy, do you ever need remodeling!" :)

Out with the old... In with the new!

Larry

HarrySmith

You can take all those old phones that don't go with the new decor and send them to South Florida ;D
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Owain

Quote from: Dan on November 20, 2009, 07:37:02 PM
I have on Ericophon on my office desk currently. Patients usually think it is some weird intercom sysyem.

like this one

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/221130191032

McHeath

I used to think about giving old phones as gifts.  But then when I saw the utter lack of interest in my family and friends I let that idea go.  Some even have homes where such phones would look very nice and appropriate, but why bother. 

Kids at school almost always ask if they can have my 500 on the desk.  But then they typically say that about everything.

HowardPgh

When I tell people I collect phones and have over 100, they sometimes do the circle around the ear thing with their finger.-Howard
Howard

Owain

Quote from: HowardPgh on September 26, 2012, 10:53:03 AM
When I tell people I collect phones and have over 100, they sometimes do the circle around the ear thing with their finger.-Howard

An indication that they suspect you might have a sore ear from over-phoning?

George Knighton

Quote from: LarryInMichigan on November 20, 2009, 09:10:18 AM
I am interested in hearing about other members' experiences, especially from those who have shelves full of phones.
So far, most of my Honda and racing friends believe that I've gone over the edge somehow, or entered the age of my dotage.

It's not as crazy as they think.

Even with several shelves of 302's already, it's still a hell of a lot cheaper than racing Hondas and Acuras. 
Annoying new poster.