News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Understanding the 2 line phone....

Started by Babybearjs, February 20, 2016, 02:09:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Babybearjs

After doing some research, I am now going to be on the lookout for some 2 line phones. first off, I need to understand the different versions that ma bell made... from what I have found, there are 6 different versions....A-F.  F being the most fanciest... the 515 and the 558F. I'm also wanting to learn more about the 2 line princess phone and the "Hold" key on the 713. was there a 715? I'm concentrating on the rotary dial version right now as they seem to be the easiest to find... who can fill in the gaps for me on this area.... ?
John

RotarDad

You probably know this already, but a quick trip to Paul-f.com will give you a nice overview.... ;)
Paul

Babybearjs

Yes, I have seen Pauls website... the one thing that I don't understand is that I found the schematic for the 713B princess phone and I have not seen the same layout in the 500 series phones (513?) and don't understand the hold feature without a KSU setup. am I missing something, or is it just me....
John

poplar1

WE 2-line sets can hold either line on some models, or just one line on others.
Pulling the left plunger up shorts the line that is not currently active.
ITT and St. Carl. sets place a resistor across a held line, rather than a short.
The WE method prevents another station from picking up on a held line.
No key equipment for any of these.

Without verifying, I'm going to guess that a WE 515 would be most like a WE 713,  that is, 2 lines + hold on both lines.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Phonesrfun

A short would definitely keep someone else from picking up the line.  Kind of a brute force exclusion method, but would it not cause a trouble ticket to be dropped in some offices, or would a trouble ticket not be created on a line that was already in use?
-Bill G

Babybearjs

OK, and then theres the 558F and it has the A-Lead wiring.... can any of the others support this arrangement? I don't understand the 515 and the 713 wiring... shorting the line, how does the hold circuit work when a line is shorted? all it does is make the line busy...or am I missing something?
John

AE_Collector

A shorted line whether dead short or 500 ohm or maybe even 1000 ohm short is going to hold the line up. So if you short it when there is a caller on the line...held line unless the caller abandons the call at which time you then have a busied out line until the short is removed.

Terry

Babybearjs

Interesting.... well, I'll have to see how this works on my phone when I get it.
John