News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Authentic London Reproduction Phone Booth

Started by Fabius, March 03, 2016, 12:05:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fabius

Thank goodness the seller made it clear. I certainly don't want one of those fake reproductions. I only collect authentic reproductions. From the size of the booth people in London are 3 feet (91 cm) tall?

https://grandrapids.craigslist.org/atd/5470792962.html ( dead link 03-04-21 )
Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

twocvbloke

Looks to be loosely K6-ish, but, yeah, we the people of this little island aren't little ourselves... ;D

Dan/Panther

Man, streetlights in England are huge.

Do they even call it England anymore, or just Great Britain ?

D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

twocvbloke

Quote from: Dan/Panther on March 03, 2016, 12:22:11 PMDo they even call it England anymore, or just Great Britain ?

Well, if you're in Northern Ireland, Wales or Scotland, it's generally bad form to call it England, often resulting in a lynching...

(Great Britain and United Kingdom refer to the island groups, barring the Republic of Ireland)

19and41

What a little cupboard.  It must've schrank in the wash! ;D
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke

Dan/Panther

Quote from: twocvbloke on March 03, 2016, 12:38:56 PM
Quote from: Dan/Panther on March 03, 2016, 12:22:11 PMDo they even call it England anymore, or just Great Britain ?

Well, if you're in Northern Ireland, Wales or Scotland, it's generally bad form to call it England, often resulting in a lynching...

(Great Britain and United Kingdom refer to the island groups, barring the Republic of Ireland)

Then what Was England ?
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

twocvbloke

Quote from: Dan/Panther on March 04, 2016, 01:44:27 PMThen what Was England ?
D/P

In ye olde days when the world was flat, America didn't exist, people feared the unknown, mud huts were the height of fashion, and every village had their own kings and queens, some lesser-educated types referred to the island of England, Scotland and Wales as "England", long before the existence of the GPO K6 Telephone box...  ;D

The Romans referred to England and Wales as "Britannia", and Scotland as "Caledonia", so, technically, Britain was first... ;D

Fabius

But England still exists? It has defined area, borders and it's flag (St George's Cross).
Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

twocvbloke

Yes, it still exists, hence why I said previously that it's bad form to call Wales, Scotland or Northern Ireland as "England", many centuries ago they were all referred to erroneously as England, and some still think it's that way today... ;D

Of course some of us see that there are two Englands, North England and South England, based on the political divide that causes a lot of friction... ;D