News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

A trio of Euro-phones!

Started by AdamAnt316, November 15, 2020, 03:48:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AdamAnt316

Hello, everyone! A couple of weeks ago at a local flea market, I came across a few European touch-tone desk phones which I got for a total of $25. Two of them are Siemens S30054-types (one of them bearing Telecom Australia markings as a "Transit Courier"), while the other is a Temat Quimper (apparently from France) complete with auxiliary 'mother-in-law' receiver. Haven't been able to find much info on these phones in general. All three seem to be in pretty good shape other than some dirt and whatnot. Here are some photos:

FABphones

Quote from: AdamAnt316 on November 15, 2020, 03:48:20 PM
...the other is a Temat Quimper (apparently from France) complete with auxiliary 'mother-in-law' receiver. Haven't been able to find much info on these phones in general...

Could you add a photo of the baseplates.

French. Socotel S63. Here are a few of mine for comparison:
http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=20286
:)

ETA: Photo from above link.
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

countryman

The Siemens phones look much like German Post FeTap 751 or similar models plus earthing button. The design came in many variations. The Australian models will have different specifications.
The German models most often came with the shown 12-button keypad but for pulse dialling (called TWB 75). It could be swapped with a tone keypad TWB71 without further modifications, but these are relatively rare and only appeared in PAX phones.
The German Post was stuck with pulse phones very long. Before many exchanges were made tone-capable, it was decided to introduce ISDN, the first digital service that integrated data traffic. Telekom, the privatized successor of the Post, pushed ISDN in the '90 and 2000 years, before VOIP made it as obsolete as POTS.
Are your phones pulse or tone dialing? A look inside would be interesting.
Here's a schematic diagram of a German version with earthing button:
https://www.wasser.de/telefon-alt/forum/index.pl?job=thema&tnr=100000000004401

Google will translate the German Wikipedia article about the FeTap series: https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fernsprechtischapparat. FeTap was the official abbreviation of the cumbersome German "compund noun" Fernsprechtischapparat - literally a distanttalkdeskinstrument. In spoken German such extra long words are easily identified as a bureaucratic excess. In real life it is a "Telefon".

FABphones

Good info countryman.

Additional screenshots for comparison, from Internet:

AdamAnt316

Thanks for the replies! Being used to WE and AE phones, I found the markings on the bottom a bit confusing, as you might have suspected. :-[ While I don't have photos of the undersides of these phones available at the moment, I will add them to this thread once I take them. For the time being, I will attempt to reproduce them in text form below:

SIEMENS       
S30054-S5378-V101-5 (CT)
A30054-X5378-V100-1-7511
CT/P 7

(logo) Telecom Australia

Transit Courier DTMF
Cracked Wheat SI/189
11/84
Siemens S30054-S5553-V739-1

(logo) TEMAT QUIMPER FV BR
PROPRIETE DE L'ETAT PTT
(logo) So. co. tel. S63
POSTE BC 721 148 A
MARCHE 8123 027 DU 15 01 82

Hope this helps!
-Adam

FABphones

Quote from: AdamAnt316 on November 15, 2020, 09:04:38 PM

(logo) TEMAT QUIMPER FV BR
PROPRIETE DE L'ETAT PTT
(logo) So. co. tel. S63
POSTE BC 721 148 A
MARCHE 8123 027 DU 15 01 82

This confirms the phone is the property of the state. PTT (Postes, Télégraphes et Téléphones) was the French administration of postal services and telecommunications.
So. co. tel S63 confirms Socotel S63 as the model.
The phone has a manufactured date of 15th January 1982.

Jack Ryan

Here is a Transit Courier - I couldn't find a straight picture and, of course, the phone is in storage.

Jack

AdamAnt316

Again, thanks for the replies!

Quote from: FABphones on November 15, 2020, 09:15:37 PM
This confirms the phone is the property of the state. PTT (Postes, Télégraphes et Téléphones) was the French administration of postal services and telecommunications.
So. co. tel S63 confirms Socotel S63 as the model.
The phone has a manufactured date of 15th January 1982.

Thanks! Do you know what the "Temat Quimper" signifies? I figured PTT might refer to the phone company, though I was a bit confused at first since the Netherlands also used 'PTT' to refer to their phone company, as seen on the HEEMAF 1955 and others. Also, any idea about the letter-less keypad? I've seen versions of the touchtone S63 which use the French lettering system (similar to the US one, except just MN on 6, and OQZ on 0). Further, whoever brought this phone to the US wrote our services numbers in those little windows, and the line cord has a US-style modular plug on the end (the two Siemens phones just have bare stripped wires on the ends).

Quote from: Jack Ryan on November 15, 2020, 09:28:48 PM
Here is a Transit Courier - I couldn't find a straight picture and, of course, the phone is in storage.

Jack

Definitely similar, though the lettering below the "Telecom Australia" logo isn't in such large type. I'll take a photo of the sticker on the bottom of my Transit Courier (and the others) tomorrow.
-Adam

FABphones

Temat Quimper, no idea. Quimper is in Brittany and may/may not be related.

Letters were on earlier models.
The DTMF voice frequency dialing model began to be distributed in 1982. It's keypad with * and # gave access to new services:

https ://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Téléphone_S63
but you may need to translate it.

*I can't get this link to cut and paste, you may have to type it in directly.

Jim Stettler

I have some FeTap clear DTMF sets, they have 16 buttons. They also made swirl FeTap sets. I have only seen the swirl sets in rotary, I have only seen the clear sets as 16 button clear DTMF
Swirl colors seen:
Green/yellow
green White
Red/Yellow
Red/white
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.