News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

How do you update the curly cord on the handset to a modular plug?

Started by Karen, May 18, 2012, 01:49:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Karen

As in, I know someone with a phone where one side of the receiver cord (to the phone) is modular, and the other end (to the handset) is wired right in there.

Makes me wonder if its easy to update that receiver end to a modular plug. Seems like the plastic would have to be cut. 

The problem is she cant stand that her aqua phone has a brand new dark brown cord on it.  I can find a blue replacement cord, but its modular on both ends.   I considered just stripping the mod plug off and fitting it up in the receiver, but then it wouldnt have the extra lines for the ear-part.

poplar1

Suggestion if this is a Western Electric, ITT or Stromberg G-style handset: If you cut off the modular plug on one end, then strip back enough of the aqua blue plastic covering the outside of the wires (about 8 inches) so that the  4  uncovered wires are long enough to reach the receiver. Leave the two wires closest to the jacket (far left and far right) long enough to reach the receiver. Cut the other uncovered wires to about 3 inches to reach the transmitter. It is better to add spade lugs (available at Radio Shack) to the ends of the wires because these wires don't strip easily. If the wires happen to all be the same color, then (again speaking of a WE/ITT/SC handset) the middle two (usually red and black) are for the transmitter and the outside two (usually both white) are for the receiver.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

MaximRecoil

Quote from: Karen on May 18, 2012, 01:49:24 AM
Makes me wonder if its easy to update that receiver end to a modular plug. Seems like the plastic would have to be cut.

The plastic does have to be cut. This is how Ma Bell's refurbishers did it:

So they drilled a 7/8" hole (probably using a Forstner bit), and then inserted that round plastic plug which has the modular plug-shaped cutout in it (the part number on the plug is 251A).

I would like to find a source for those 251A plugs, because mine has one of its retaining tabs broken off, so it allows one side to push through the 7/8" hole a bit, resulting in it not being completely flush with the rest of the handset.

HowardPgh

Is the modular crimper available for the smaller handset cord plugs?
Howard

twocvbloke

Quote from: HowardPgh on August 03, 2012, 11:27:24 AM
Is the modular crimper available for the smaller handset cord plugs?

You can get a standard tool which does RJ45, RJ11 and RJ10... :)

Such as this one:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/160736762613

Price and quality varies from seller to seller though...