News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Ivory Kellogg Master Phone

Started by Doug Rose, July 19, 2014, 08:21:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Rose

Anyone watch this auction. It looks Old Chicago Telephone Co painted to me. Robbie? Seller told me it was Ivory inside. Handset cap looks painted and there are a few marks that look like the paint is gone. $300!! Worth it if its real....but......Doug
http://tinyurl.com/pakhbvo
Kidphone

TelePlay

I was watching it and also surprised at the price.

It looked painted to me, as in light ripples in this reflection along with the cap you posted and the small chips on the front left and right upright edges.

Doug Rose

Seller offered to sell me a painted one after the auction ended. It looks exactly like the one he sold. I do have an Old Chicago Painted one. Only Ivory I ever saw was a former Forum Member who purchased an Ivory ash tray  that was made into a lamp....Doug

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=1000.msg30817#msg30817
Kidphone

LarryInMichigan

I looked at that and was convinced that it was painted.  I have three of those on black with chips.  I could fill in the chips on one, paint it ivory, and sell it to your for $300, if you're interested  ;D

Larry

Doug Rose

thanks Larry!! I do have an Old Chicago Ivory paint of this. I have few Old Chicago Ivory paints, the paint was just amazing. Kellogg 925, 900 and 700. SC tombstone wall mount, AE 40, WE 102, 202 and a WE spacesaver. They all like like they were just painted ...Doug
Kidphone

Doug Rose

I am a bit confused....this sold for $300 last week....Doug
http://tinyurl.com/pojkwnr
Kidphone

poplar1

Same seller, different phone. He claims that last week's listing was for a solid ivory one while the $30 listing is for one
"painted by the phone company."

Quote from: Doug Rose on July 26, 2014, 05:15:04 PM
I am a bit confused....this sold for $300 last week....Doug

http://tinyurl.com/pojkwnr
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

TelePlay

But if it's two different phone, the pictures are the same.

For example, this is the exact same photo of the base bottom on both listing right down to the loose screw (bottom left) with the slot turned to the 1 - 7 o'clock position and the blue wrapped line cord. One shows a wide white line cord "retainer" and the other a blue rubber band but in both photos, the phone has that same double chip on the front left edge. So the line cords are wrapped differently but the handset looks the same, just a different view of it.

Does this go to deceptive?

poplar1

OK, I thought the cords were different. Also, I was going by what Doug said in Reply #3:

Seller offered to sell me a painted one after the auction ended. It looks exactly like the one he sold.

I suspected that the first one was painted and wrote the seller before it closed. He assured me that it wasn't painted. But I still didn't think it was real. Otherwise, it sold for a good price: Ray told me a while back that just the ivory handset for a Kellogg 1000 (red bar) was worth more than $300.

Perhap, then, it is the same phone and seller finally looked inside and realized it's black underneath.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

TelePlay

Thanks to PhotoShop, I captured the handset cap from both listings and put them together side by side and overlapped with one at 50% density. I had to rotate one to get it to line up with the other. The overlay on the left shows that the three dots from the letters "C" "O" and "P" match perfectly. That would not be the case if these were two different handsets. It's the same handset flipped over in the listing photo to make it look different. The over lay doesn't match up fully for a variety of reasons but the three black dots do, the registration of these three dots is perfect. Click on the photo to see it full size. Now, the letters are in the same place but the odds of those three having the same defects while other letters like the "O" in Chicago and other round letters on the cap do not have any defects makes the odds of this being the same handset quite high.