On eBay Western Electric Rotary 554 Transparent Case Unused Original Box

Started by ....., January 07, 2017, 01:16:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

On eBay

Western Electric Wall Phone Rotary 554 Transparent Case Unused Original Box

http://www.ebay.com/itm/112259698081

TelePlay

Thanks for pointing this phone out.

Seller said she had a few low ball offers but is going to let it go to the end so it is now an auction contest.

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=17403.0

Any and all discussion of this unique phone can take place here and guesses only at the auction contest topic.

Seller has stated in the auction that the bagged cord shown in two photos is no longer included in the auction. It was pointed out to her that it is a clear cord for a Trimline. As such, it has been grayed out in the auction photos posted.

HarrySmith

Very Nice, very rare set!
This is the first time I have seen or even heard of a clear 554. I do not recall even the collectors who specialize in clear sets having one. I expect this to go to one of the deep pocket collectors for big bucks when the dust settles. There will be many bids!
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Greg G.

At first this looked like it may be another one of MagicMo's finds in her Dad's attic, but it's not.  Where's she been, anyway, anybody know?  Her profile says she was last "active" (whatever that means) in March 2015.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

AE_Collector

Last Active means was logged in but didn't necesarily post anything. Anyone could be here undetected by not logging in.

Terry

TelePlay

Quote from: Brinybay on January 09, 2017, 01:16:08 AM
Where's she been, anyway, anybody know?

We were in touch about then and I asked her why she became less active. Without disclosing anything she told me, all I can say is she ran into a diversion or distraction in her life that was going to need a lot of time. I have no idea of what she did with all of her phones. Maybe still has them for a few years down the road. She's okay, just needed to devote her time to other things.

Greg G.

Quote from: TelePlay on January 09, 2017, 01:40:41 AM
We were in touch about then and I asked her why she became less active. Without disclosing anything she told me, all I can say is she ran into a diversion or distraction in her life that was going to need a lot of time. I have no idea of what she did with all of her phones. Maybe still has them for a few years down the road. She's okay, just needed to devote her time to other things.

I've heard there is life outside of old phones.  I've even seen fuzzy pictures of it.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Jim Stettler

Quote from: Brinybay on January 09, 2017, 06:49:10 PM
I've heard there is life outside of old phones.  I've even seen fuzzy pictures of it.
I have experienced bouts of it. It can be quite disturbing,
JMO,
Jim S.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

TelePlay

Going over some old contests, I found this one which, from what I can tell as posted back then, was said to be a NOS clear 554 but with a white handset cord.

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=928.0

Sold for $516 back then (2009) but it is not the same phone (handset cord, finger wheel mount and ringer coil).

andre_janew

I also think  the networks look different.  It looks like there might be some sort of guard over part of the network on the one that sold in 2009.

AL_as_needed

Quote from: andre_janew on January 10, 2017, 05:28:03 PM
I also think  the networks look different.  It looks like there might be some sort of guard over part of the network on the one that sold in 2009.

That network looks like it could be a very late version network. My '72 554 (not clear sadly) has the 425 network as pictured at the top.
TWinbrook7