News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Soft vs Hard Plastic - WE 500 Telephone

Started by cihensley@aol.com, September 01, 2017, 03:17:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cihensley@aol.com

I know this has been subject to past discussion, but I could not find the posts. When did Western Electric transition from "soft plastic" to "hard plastic" for the 500 series of desk telephones. Was the 7 dial, until replaced, used on "hard plastic?"

WEBellSystemChristian

For most colors, the transition from Tenite to ABS took place from May/June 1959 to the end of that year, but the transition as a whole lasted from sometime in 1958 to early 1960.

ABS was found as early as 1958 on Light Gray, but it was only the housing and lift that switched on that color. I don't know of of any other color that was transitioned earlier or as early as Light Gray.

On other colored 500s, the timespan was from May to June 1959, with most colors switching over completely to ABS halfway through that year, while colors like Pink only had some parts change--only the housing, lift, and handset caps changed to ABS during that time for certain colors. Later that year, the handset handle was ABS for all colors, leaving the bezel for some colors, which typically stayed Tenite as late as early to mid 1960, depending on the color.
Black, on the other hand, had a Tenite housing until sometime in 1964 or 1965, IIRC. I think the dial bezel on Black became ABS around the same time the colored sets switched over, in '59.

Long story short: the transition took place around 1958 and 1959.

The #7 was used on many hard plastic phones, and was probably in service for a good 6 years on full ABS phones.
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

jsowers

Quote from: WEBellSystemChristian on September 01, 2017, 05:53:05 PM
The #7 was used on many hard plastic phones, and was probably in service for a good 6 years on full ABS phones.

I think you meant to say the #7 dial was used on most soft plastic (Tenite) phones and up until about 1965 on color ABS phones. That was a good explanation.

The next dial was the #9, sometime in late 1965. That was about the time black switched to all ABS too. Dates are approximate because there's always an overlap while they used up spare parts. I don't think there was a #8 dial, or at least I don't have a picture of one.

Also, it's common to find a Tenite phone from the 1950s with a replaced #9 dial. This was often done in the field as a quick repair.
Jonathan

WEBellSystemChristian

Yes, sorry John, I should have added that.

Late 1965 is also the time WE decided to standardize. Bakelite G1s on black 500s were discontinued in favor of the G3, making the G3 standard on 500s across the board. The cheaper-built #9 also replaced the overbuilt #7 that year. I would guess that there were a few small parts for color 500s that were still made of Tenite by 1964, and the standardization in '65 most likely converted every part to ABS.

I actually have a 1958 Light Gray 500 (dates matching) with an ABS housing. I forget the exact month and day of the housing's build date, but it wasn't late '58--more like June or July.
Christian Petterson

RotarDad

John & Christian - This all sounds right, except I'd never heard about the early light gray ABS.  Interesting.  I have a 1 (Jan) 65 black Tenite shell, and I used to have a 5-65 #9 dial.  I know there is at east one other in-depth thread on on all this transition stuff for 500s.
Paul

skyrider

# 8 dials were used on princess and other phones.

Bill

RotarDad

Hey Christian - The second paragraph in my previous post wasn't my input.  I see you're a moderator now - did you inadvertently modify my post instead of posting a new reply?  I left the text so you could easily move it....  Thanks!
Paul

TelePlay

Quote from: RotarDad on September 02, 2017, 03:28:45 AM
. . .  - did you inadvertently modify my post instead of posting a new reply?

That is quite easy to do since the modify and reply buttons are right next to each other for moderators. After catching a few wrong button clicks like that, one tends get better at not doing that. A learning curve thing.

WEBellSystemChristian

Quote from: RotarDad on September 02, 2017, 03:28:45 AM
Hey Christian - The second paragraph in my previous post wasn't my input.  I see you're a moderator now - did you inadvertently modify my post instead of posting a new reply?  I left the text so you could easily move it....  Thanks!

Wow, sorry about that! The "Modify" button for me now is in the exact same spot where "Quote" used to be! I tried quoting you, but must have accidentally hit Modify. I also could have tried modifying my own post, but I don't remember.

Thanks for letting me know! :-[
Christian Petterson

RotarDad

Christian. No worries...  The bigger point which I neglected to make is to extend a big Thank You!! for taking on a moderator role, helping to keep the forum in top running order!!!
Paul

WEBellSystemChristian

Quote from: RotarDad on September 02, 2017, 11:28:49 AM
Christian. No worries...  The bigger point which I neglected to make is to extend a big Thank You!! for taking on a moderator role, helping to keep the forum in top running order!!!

Aww, thanks Paul! It's hard remembering to edit and keep everything in line with my respective forum section, but I'm getting used to it! :)

BTW, in case you noticed that I edited your post...yes, I did hit "modify" instead of "quote" again!!  >:(
Christian Petterson