Main Menu

Here's some of my collection

Started by mienaichizu, October 06, 2008, 11:41:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mienaichizu

Hi guys,

Here's some of my collection. just want to share it with you

Mark Stevens

Top photo, 2nd from the right...what is it?  The handset has a Stromberg-Carlson look to it, but not the phone itself.  Looks like one of those foreign jobs to me!  ;)

McHeath

Nice group of phones.  What is the business model with the multiple lines?  Looks like you have some Australian phones, is that correct? 

mienaichizu

Quote from: Mark Stevens on October 06, 2008, 12:22:07 PM
Top photo, 2nd from the right...what is it?  The handset has a Stromberg-Carlson look to it, but not the phone itself.  Looks like one of those foreign jobs to me!  ;)

Its make is Ericsson but I'm not so sure of its model. I think its an Ericsson 1951.
It looks like the one on the link this but with a different handset, follow the link.

http://www.telefoonmuseum.com/bakeliet/ericsson1951t/

I'll attach more pics of it so you can view it better

mienaichizu

Quote from: McHeath on October 06, 2008, 08:23:22 PM
Nice group of phones.  What is the business model with the multiple lines?  Looks like you have some Australian phones, is that correct? 

The multiline is an AE type 186, that phone was a gift from my uncle, the fifth photo is the Australian phone, the Australian phone has a very petite look on it

McHeath

Been seeing a lot of these Aussie phones on eBay as of late.  I'm assuming they won't work on the US POTS. 

I like those 554s that were modified to have the TT dial in place of the rotary, though I know others may not.  Cortelco still sells that model, they call it the 3554.  Then again I also like the 2500 as well, it's got a real mid century look going on, but then I also know that they are not exactly the worlds favorite design by many folk, guess my liking for them may be nostalgia based.   What I'd really like to add to my collection is an early 10 button 1500 with a black painted bottom and hardwired handset, but they seem to be rather rare. 

mienaichizu

Quote from: McHeath on October 07, 2008, 12:32:37 AM
Been seeing a lot of these Aussie phones on eBay as of late.  I'm assuming they won't work on the US POTS. 

I like those 554s that were modified to have the TT dial in place of the rotary, though I know others may not.  Cortelco still sells that model, they call it the 3554.  Then again I also like the 2500 as well, it's got a real mid century look going on, but then I also know that they are not exactly the worlds favorite design by many folk, guess my liking for them may be nostalgia based.   What I'd really like to add to my collection is an early 10 button 1500 with a black painted bottom and hardwired handset, but they seem to be rather rare. 

Well my Aussie is working

I like also those 2500, actually I have 2 in my collection, one is shown above, the other is an early stromberg-carlson 12 button beige color. I also like to add a 10 button TT in my collection but it is really hard to find

Bill Cahill

;D  Nice phones. You know, I used to have no thought to a phone's look. It was merely a device to use.
Now, you guys have me suckered into this.
I'm interested in phones.
Yikes!!!  :o
Bill Cahill

"My friends used to keep saying I had batts in my belfry. No. I'm just hearing bells....."

McHeath

I think that part of the genius of the old phones is that you did not have to think about them.  They simply worked, their user interface was a model of simplicity, and they got out of the way so you could do your business.  The amazing complexity of the landline system is hidden behind those disarmingly simple rotary dials or TT buttons, it was a brilliant interface, and brilliant adaptation of technology.  They are so simple that anyone can use one, and feel like they are getting their money worth, and never give more than a passing thought about how to use it. 

Then look at modern phones, cordless, cell, iPhone, no matter, they are complex yes, but the main difference is that you have to think about the technology and how to use it, rather than just use it.  I need to make a call, on my 500 I pick it up and dial.  On any modern phone I have to navigate a user interface, make sure I have power, and a signal, and geesh.

mienaichizu

Quote from: Bill Cahill on October 07, 2008, 05:50:39 AM
;D  Nice phones. You know, I used to have no thought to a phone's look. It was merely a device to use.
Now, you guys have me suckered into this.
I'm interested in phones.
Yikes!!!  :o
Bill Cahill

Thanks Bill

mienaichizu

Quote from: McHeath on October 07, 2008, 08:31:32 PM
I think that part of the genius of the old phones is that you did not have to think about them.  They simply worked, their user interface was a model of simplicity, and they got out of the way so you could do your business.  The amazing complexity of the landline system is hidden behind those disarmingly simple rotary dials or TT buttons, it was a brilliant interface, and brilliant adaptation of technology.  They are so simple that anyone can use one, and feel like they are getting their money worth, and never give more than a passing thought about how to use it. 

Then look at modern phones, cordless, cell, iPhone, no matter, they are complex yes, but the main difference is that you have to think about the technology and how to use it, rather than just use it.  I need to make a call, on my 500 I pick it up and dial.  On any modern phone I have to navigate a user interface, make sure I have power, and a signal, and geesh.

There's a lot of new technologies out there to communicate but still I support the landline, its cheaper ang much more convenient