News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Latest Score, WE 500 12/51

Started by McHeath, October 12, 2008, 10:22:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

McHeath

Okay so in a moment of weakness I bought this phone on ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270283789350&ru=http%3A%2F%2Fsearch.ebay.com%3A80%2Fsearch%2Fsearch.dll%3Ffrom%3DR40%26_trksid%3Dm37.l1313%26satitle%3D270283789350%26category0%3D%26fvi%3D1
( dead link 03-27-21 )

So what say ye, was it a good buy or did I get snookered?  What does the J/K designation on the bottom mean?  I went and look at Paul Fs great site, but confess that even after reading his description I was left foggy. 

Once it arrives I'll do a nice post mortem photo shot for posterity. 

BDM

DOG! I went for it also. I was one of the bidders ;D Afterwords I was thinking I should have went higher. Congrats! I think you did well. Should polish up nicely!
--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI

benhutcherson

Wow! Great find, and great price! I'd have definitely been willing to pay more had I been bidding.

As for what J/K means-I have no idea what the lack of an equalizer means in terms of operation or performance. I do, however, know that the equalizer for a 425A network is normally contained in a separate block located close to where the handset cord enters the housing. Assuming the 500 J/K is like the 500 T I have(which Paul F's site indicates to be the case), there is a terminal strip there for the handset cord to attach to rather than hooking directly to the network.

Here are a couple of other oddities, as compared to the far more common later 500 sets, which you might notice

1. The early number plates used a different construction than the common black/white injection molding

2. 7A dial-slightly different than the 7C or 7D

3. C2A ringer

4. The strain reliever inside of the handset is part of the handset rather than the receiver cup

In any case, enjoy your purchase. It looks like you got a good one.

McHeath

QuoteDOG! I went for it also. I was one of the bidders

Wow I guess I got lucky!  I was hoping that the seller's mislabeling of it as being from the 1960s would throw people off the hunt, but I should have figured some of ya'll would sniff it out.  ;D

Thanks for the info on what to expect inside the case benhutcherson.  What is the exact model of the phone you have in the picture? 

Dan/Panther

Nice phone, a little over my budget, I try to keep my phones under $8.00.... ;D ;D

D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

Bill Cahill

Geez.. Nice phone, but, my last phone only cost me 8.95. I'm afraid yours is too rich for my bones..... :D
Bill Cahill

"My friends used to keep saying I had batts in my belfry. No. I'm just hearing bells....."

Mark Stevens

Holy cow... $15.50?!!!  Listen, I just need to make something clear...
As the High Exalted Mystic Ruler here, I hereby proclaim that all forum members must notify me prior to bidding on pre-'52 500s. Or, the members may prefer to quell my displeasure with an offering...
a '49 model 500 would do nicely!  ;D

Dan/Panther

Listen up Kingfish !!
The best I can come up with is the old handset cord, I replaced on my 39 Monophhone.
It's yours if you want it,  just pay shipping, amd a small packaging / handling fee.
Shouldn't run you more than say $11.00. Of course that depends on your zipcode, may be a little more, never less! Prices quoted are for Media Mail, no insurance, no confirmation, Not responsible for lost damaged or stolen goods. If the box arrives empty, oit wasn't when it left here, Right Bill, tell em about your bulb.

D/P

McHeath

QuoteAs the High Exalted Mystic Ruler here, I hereby proclaim that all forum members must notify me prior to bidding on pre-'52 500s. Or, the members may prefer to quell my displeasure with an offering...
a '49 model 500 would do nicely

I will have to arm wrestle you for that 49' model 500.  Yeah people say these mythical phones exist, but I'm not so sure as I've yet to see one either in person or on the web. 

The seller claims they will ship tomorrow.

Dan/Panther

McHeath;
All joking aside, that is one heck of a deal. I Still find good deals but either I'm getting better at what I'm looking for, or people are starting to realize the value of this little treasures.
I just got a 302 for $14.73 because someone had painted it silver. a ittle elbow grease and some Brasso and I have a $75.00 phone.
Will post pictures when it arrives.
D/P

BDM

Bottom line, watch Ebag and craigslist. Deals on 302s and 500s can still be had fairly regular. D1 mounts less so, B1 mounts even less so, A1/AA1 mounts....Well, you better dig into your nest egg ;D
--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI

McHeath

Thanks all for the vote of confidence.  This is by far the best ebay deal I've done for a phone, I was shocked when I actually won it as I fully expected somone with more savvy to swoop in and get it in the last 15 seconds.  E-bay auctions are weird eh, they are less like a real auction and more like a waiting game where the best method is to fly in at the literally last minute and win.  Hope this phone is pretty much original, that would be cool, but I'm betting that it's seen the shop a time or two and it will be interesting to see what's under the hood.

Good buy on that 302!  I don't have one of those, yet, and have been looking.

Bill Cahill

Quote from: Dan/Panther on October 14, 2008, 12:30:21 AM
McHeath;
All joking aside, that is one heck of a deal. I Still find good deals but either I'm getting better at what I'm looking for, or people are starting to realize the value of this little treasures.
I just got a 302 for $14.73 because someone had painted it silver. a ittle elbow grease and some Brasso and I have a $75.00 phone.
Will post pictures when it arrives.
D/P

And, seriously, I also concurr. Just joking above.Not about what I paid. But, you got one heck of a good deal.
God bless..
;D Bill Cahill

"My friends used to keep saying I had batts in my belfry. No. I'm just hearing bells....."