News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Early field unit ???

Started by jiggerman, November 11, 2009, 08:42:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jiggerman

Last Thursday I picked up this phone at the local town auction. The auctioneer sold it as a linesman's test set but I think it's an early field phone. It weights over 20 lbs and measures 12 x 14 inches so I can't see a linesman or lineswoman shimmering up a pole with this piece of equipment. It has feet and wall-mounting brackets so it was made to be moved around. I removed the screws to see what the insides looked like, I must say I was very surprised to see it still has it's batteries. It's a Northern Electric but the headset is a Western Electric (nice marriage), box is oak and all the hardware is brass. I told myself that when I started collecting phones I would stick to the $3-4 dollars garage sale finds but we all know how that turns out. I paid $100 dollars.... I liked the oak box and the antique look of the phone so I had to have it. Let me know what you think it's used for. Thanks, Jiggerman

jiggerman

A few more pics.

jiggerman

Have trouble posting multiple photos.

Phonesrfun

And I take it you are clicking on the "additional photos" thing just to the right of the browse button?

-Bill G

jiggerman

Yes, that's what I tried but it didn't seem to work. Jiggerman

bwanna

jiggerman.....what a great find :).  you're hooked on that thurs auction, now :o ???

whatever it is, it's portable. i don't think it would be carried up the pole. also doubt there were line- woman in the era of this piece. thank you for being politically correct, tho ;)

can you see anything that would hook to the pair? maybe this is a "talk set", used by splicers.
donna

gpo706

Wow, nice, I just got linesman phone with an original battery in it just 2 "D" cells wrapped in a cardboard box, yours obviously runs on 3 x cells, hope you can get it up and running on new batteries.
"now this should take five minutes, where's me screwdriver went now..?"

bingster

Neat piece.  Odd construction in the battery compartment, though.  It looks as though the coil is supposed to be on the right and the batteries on the left, as evidenced by the battery holder being on the left.  I wonder if they're still holding a charge?
= DARRIN =

McHeath

I know how it goes on the price of phones, you start out with a few dollar junkers found at the local flea market, then beings the upward price creep.  Before you know it you are willing to drop C notes on old phone things from the blurry past.

It's a cool phone you bought, and I like the really old time look of the piece.  Great that it has the old school batteries. 

jiggerman

Thanks for the input folks. As to getting this phone up and running I wouldn't have a clue as to were to start. Plus I wouldn't know what I'd be doing anyway. I"ll just put it on display in my room and enjoy it as is. If it was a 50's or 60's car than it would be a different matter, that's something I can fix. Jiggerman