News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Rod Lanthier's coin control module

Started by Kpkube, October 14, 2016, 12:44:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kpkube

Does anyone have Rod Lanthier's coin control module?  I saw one of his youtube videos and this module looks to work really well.  I like how it is compact and hidden in the phone.  I sent him a message and he does not sell them with out buying one of his refurb phones.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=klyCwMRoVUc#t=41

TelePlay

I do not have any type of controller and I am not familiar with his, don't know what it looks like or where it fits in or near the phone.

Some forum members have these and one is available right now on eBay for it's usual price. You may get member comments on either/or both.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/A-Coin-Controller-For-Your-Antique-3-Slot-Payphone-/302101944195

dsk

I have made my own: http://tinyurl.com/kpq42ev 
This one depends on polarity reversal on answer, and fits my ATA (PAP2T)

On a regular line, a timer would fix that, and that is what I guess has been done on the video.

dsk

Ktownphoneco

I have one of Stan's controllers, which is the one John has just posted.      I have it connected to a Northern 233 pre-pay coin collector.      I have the telephone connected to a 685 subscriber set, which is how this model of coin collector was originally installed.       I have the whole thing mounted on an oak backboard which I made myself.       The telephone is at the top, the subset directly below , and the controller unit directly below that.  (See picture ).     The control unit has been plugged in continually for about 2 years, and continues to function without fail each and every time a coin is dropped into the coin slots.      The controller works perfectly.   As soon as coin ( 10 cents ) hits the trigger mechanism, I have dial tone.     If I hang up, the coin is returned to the coin return bucket.
This part I'm not exactly sure of the time limit, but if the handset is kept off hook for I believe it's 45 seconds or more, once the handset is hung up, the coin(s) 2 nickels or a dime, drop into the coin vault.     Installation is pretty straight forward.   
I'm very happy with the unit.   

Jeff Lamb

Phonesrfun

Does Rod even sell them any more?  I haven't heard anything from him in a long time.  He used to have a lot of AE 3-slot phones.
-Bill G

poplar1

"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Kpkube

Quote from: Phonesrfun on October 14, 2016, 10:21:45 PM
Does Rod even sell them any more?  I haven't heard anything from him in a long time.  He used to have a lot of AE 3-slot phones.

I sent him an email to him the other day to see what they cost, he said that he only puts them in the phones that he restores.
I don't see why he would pass on a $200+ sale.

TelePlay

Quote from: poplar1 on October 14, 2016, 11:41:05 PM
This is the link for his website:
http://threeslotpayphone.com/

This is a screen capture of his controller from one of Rod's videos. It is an external box similar to the other controller posted above.

His site says the price for the controller is $250 in addition to the pay phone.

I can think of one reason why he may only want to sell them with a payphone - no installation required by the purchaser (no troubleshooting phone calls, no returns, stuff like that). The phone and controller are in working order and working together when they ship.

dsk

I have an idea of $200 is pretty much money, so I made my own as described in the thread http://tinyurl.com/kpq42ev 
And yes it tuned out to be far less, but it is huge, like a subset. and it could have tuned out to be a fail.  Sometimes my projects turns out to be pretty expensive, and I spend much more than it would have been to just buy the unit.  My only excuse for this is the pleasure of being able to understand the problem, and solve it, but this is my biggest motivation for my hobbies. If it dont need  fetteling, I just opens everything, and examine it to understand how it works.  (electronics may be difficult that way, so I prefer old-fashioned solutions)

The motivation driving us may be different, so if you just want it up and running, one of the compact controllers over may be a good choice. 

The last thing important thing to say; this is just for prepay phones!

dsk

Stan S

It seems the original question was misunderstood.

Rod Lantier manufactured TWO types of controllers. The first was a stand alone unit. The second was a module built in the payphones he sold. The one built in the payphone is the one in the video. That's the one Kpkube was inquiring about.

Both of his devices were amateurish at best. They did ANIMATE the coin relay of the payphone. However, they in no way made the payphone they were attached to, or built into, operate the way they did when they were in actual service.

If you look at the video, the instant the payphone is hung up the coin relay fires. Three slot payphone never worked that way. He also 'implies' that deposits will be collected when or if the call is answered or returned if it isn't. That's absolute nonsense. Both of his 'creations' have timers.

If you connect a Western Electric 3-slot to his stand alone unit and want 'coin first' operation you couldn't answer an incoming call without first depositing a coin. The same holds true if his module was installed in a Western 3-slot. Seems he kept that a secret.

Just saying.
Stan S.

TelePlay

Thanks, Stan, for the evaluation.

When I read the first post, my first thought was that he was building something into each phone to do whatever that phone needed. Many different payphones so easier to make one to work for one phone only and as such, could not sell one as an external unit as a one size fits all.

Then I saw the external box so posted that with my comments above.

So, my first suspicion was confirmed and what, he no longer builds the external since he no longer sells only the controller?

Kpkube

Quote from: Stan S on October 15, 2016, 01:17:20 PM
It seems the original question was misunderstood.

Rod Lantier manufactured TWO types of controllers. The first was a stand alone unit. The second was a module built in the payphones he sold. The one built in the payphone is the one in the video. That's the one Kpkube was inquiring about.

Both of his devices were amateurish at best. They did ANIMATE the coin relay of the payphone. However, they in no way made the payphone they were attached to, or built into, operate the way they did when they were in actual service.

If you look at the video, the instant the payphone is hung up the coin relay fires. Three slot payphone never worked that way. He also 'implies' that deposits will be collected when or if the call is answered or returned if it isn't. That's absolute nonsense. Both of his 'creations' have timers.

If you connect a Western Electric 3-slot to his stand alone unit and want 'coin first' operation you couldn't answer an incoming call without first depositing a coin. The same holds true if his module was installed in a Western 3-slot. Seems he kept that a secret.

Just saying.
Stan S.

Hi Stan,
Thanks for the information.  Looks like I will End up getting the controller you have.
First I need to get the phone set up so I can use your controller with it.  I found the coin chute and coil, now I need to find some info on how to connect it back up and see if I'm missing anything else.  Right now it is set up to make and receive calls but I would like it to be able to put the coins in and function like it did.  Will try to post pics of the inside with the coin chute and coil.
Thanks
Keith

Stan S

Keith
Assuming your coin relay is OK, you should have no trouble getting the payphone to work.
Stan S.

Kpkube

Stan S

Keith
What model payphone is it and do you have a diagram?
Stan S.